4R100 TC Lockup Mod Opinions?

CHPMustang

Reaction score
A friend of mine passed this mod to me asking if I was familiar with it and if it'd be safe for the basic stock 4R100.

Any ya'll heard of this mod as it's a newbie to me.:D

Manual switch to lock the torque converter
On the passenger side of the transmission is a connector with 12 pins in an oval body (#C104, the lead from this connector is routed over the trans to the control module. Pin #4 has a purple wire with a yellow strips on it, this is the signal wire from the control module telling the torque converter to lock. Run a jumper from this wire to a switch in the cab, connect the other side of the switch to ground. When the switch is flipped, pin #4 will be grounded and the torque converter will lock up.

twildman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes it works, have the same thing done to my truck. Won't hurt anything, just have to remember to unlock it when your coming to a stop or you'll kill the truck.

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
Yes it works, have the same thing done to my truck. Won't hurt anything, just have to remember to unlock it when your coming to a stop or you'll kill the truck.

:D yep
i had heard a soul had also pulled a signal from the vss to unlock or disable the lock up at speeds somehwere round 35 using a few relays and a basic logic module, but then its been a while for the old brain to remember the details,

Tbar

SDD STAFF/Moderator
Reaction score
I have run the t/c lock up mod for 170,000 miles........so far so good.

Tbar

CHPMustang

Reaction score
Is there a specific transmission gear that the TC lockup mod works best and when to use it?

Recommended to upgrade the TC to something better than stock?

CSIPSD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nope, lock her up... I do at about 22 or so and unlock at about 20... Keeps the temps down on the tranny...

CSIPSD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, any time the TC is locked 100% of the power is going to the rear wheels, not lost in the tranny... Your tranny will run cooler, your clutches will last longer...

Tbar

SDD STAFF/Moderator
Reaction score
Nope, lock her up... I do at about 22 or so and unlock at about 20... Keeps the temps down on the tranny...

Same here.

I believe the T/C engages at 38mph on the stock tranny programing. I can't stand listening to the engine revving until it locks. Less slush box action means less tranny temp heat. Also with OD button disengaged and the t/c locked I use the brakes less around town.

You can buy progaming now that will do this for you automatically as this is a very manual approach.

Tbar

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58