Help Needed 4X4 not working

2befast

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Hello ALL

I hope someone can help. I have a 2002 F-250 XLT with Warn manuel locking hubs. I locked the hubs to pull a buddy out and to my surprise when I flipped the 4X4 switch on the dash......NOTHING!!!!! no 4X4. Does anyone have any ideas on where to start looking.

Thanks in advance, Randy

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
The ESOF motor probably quit on you, get under the truck by the transfer case and have someone actuate the switch and listen for the motor to run. Make sure the electrical connection at the motor is good but the transfer case motor seems to be a common failure. Easy fix though.

atk

Reaction score
X3

and

was the hubs fully locked?

if you don`t hear the motor, also check to see if you are getting power at the electrical connector when 4x4 is selected....hope this helps

Last edited:

2befast

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Hey guys

Thanks for the suggestions.

Yes,the hubs were locked in. That's the first thing I checked. I am told it will engage the transfer case with the manuel hubs not locked in. You will not have 4X4 until the hubs are locked in.

I was also told to listen for the vaccum pump in the engine bay, to make sure that it did still stut off when it reached full vac., it seems to be working fine.

I will check the ESOF motor & connection next.

Thanks again, Randy

2befast

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Yes, I have an automatic. I have tried it in park, neutral and in gear.

I have a buddy coming over to help check the ESOF motor like 95_stroker suggested.

Also should I have power at the motor all the time, or only when the switch is flipped to 4X4?

I called a Ford dealer today....about 500.00 for the ESOF motor. Does this sound about right?

Thanks, Randy

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cheap fix for the ESOF motors is to pull them apart and clean the brushes. Generally gives them a bit longer life. Link to a How to yes it's for a ranger but the motor is the same or very similiar

Quick question on exactly what you did when you went to pull him out...

Did you pull up to where you were going to pull, hop out lock the hubs, hit the 4wd switch in the truck. then observe no 4wd?

If so then the hubs had not completely locked.

Manual 4wd hubs are designed such that you turn the knob and which puts pressure on a spring which actually engages the hub when the hub is in the right place for engagement. If you have too much grease in the hub then you won't have engagement (grease forms a suction that the spring won't overcome)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Svttim