52" lvd tv

kingkevindavid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did the same thing as you, I beat my brain trying to figure out what TV's to replace the ones that were stolen when my house was robbed. I ended up with a Sharp liquid aquos 52 inch LCD that was on sale at my base PX for $1299 this past Christmas, down from $1799. The price and a decent score in Consumer Reports is what make my mind up.

I also bought a Samsung 32 inch for around $700 that was at the top of Consumer Reports for our bedroom.

Think you made a good choice with the one you bought!

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
Try looking at a regular Tube TV. What an eye sore!

Dave

Been looking at one for years and I thought it was fine until I got this one. Just went down to the Family room a while ago and when I walked by the old tube TV I though well time to get a new one for the Family room........

I spent a hour today trying to figure out just how high to mount the 52" on the wall and finally gave up and just put it where the wife thought it would be good. Looks good and the viewing angle is just right so maybe she does know something.

J_F250

SDD Burger Flipper
Reaction score
I had heard and read that too.. so I called Vizio.. They >said< they have fixed the pixel issue.. and the 120hz (what ever that whizoledgy means)
Somebody correct me if I am wrong.
In a normal television the refresh rate is 60hz. The refresh rate is how many times the screen shows the same frame. Most movies and television are shot at 24fps (frames per second) originally. 24 is not divisible by 60 evenly so the way the TV compensates is by "creating" (called interpolation) frames to move onto the next frame. Sometimes this can create "artifacts" in the picture. If you were to buy a 24fps compatible blu-ray disc player and have a 120hz refresh rate TV, you could view the material exactly how it was intended to be viewed. 120 is divisible by 24. It equals 5. So each frame is shown 5 times. That way the TV does nothing to the picture. If you have never seen this technology go to your local best buy and check it out.
It is quite fascinating (to me anyway). I was watching the last Pirates of the Caribbean and the picture was very clear in motion. It is kind of hard to explain. It is like you are really there.
The other reason for 120hz refresh rate is because LCDs have a slower reaction time than plasmas and DLP TVs. In fast motion (sports) it can cause the screen to be blurry. With 120hz rate it almost eliminates the blur. You have seen the DLP commercials before "it's the mirrors" right? DLP (which is quickly dying as a TV technology) uses mirrors to eliminate the chance of blur.
LCDs are the future because of their size so they had to develop a technology to deal with the blurriness.
Sorry that was such a long winded explanation. Some people probably didn't want to read that but there might be some curious people out there. Just trying to help.

Last edited:

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
THANX J ;tu;tu

I had to read that 3 times to git it, but thanks for putting it into layman's language. I read what Vizio said in the owners guide but it was purdy much, Greek to me.

Everyone I talked with about LCD TV's said.. which ever brand I went with.. the 120hz feature was a Must.

When you can see a Zit, through the Make-up.. I'm not sure the picture clarity can git much better.

Thanks again :sweet

Joe

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
Too late the 60hz is already bolted to the wall. Picture looks perfect to me and by saving the 120hz for next time I have something to upgrade too ;)

J_F250

SDD Burger Flipper
Reaction score
Too late the 60hz is already bolted to the wall. Picture looks perfect to me and by saving the 120hz for next time I have something to upgrade too ;)

I wasn't trying to say you should have bought a 120Hz, I was just explaining to Joe what it meant and for any others that might want to know. ;tu
They already have 240Hz refresh rates on TVs, and I am sure by the time that one craps out on you there will be a million advancements in technology.
As soon as you buy something they always come out with something better.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
[They already have 240Hz refresh rates on TVs], and I am sure by the time that one craps out on you there will be a million advancements in technology.
[As soon as you buy something they always come out with something better.]

Man !!!! Aint THAT the Truth.

BamaSixGun

SDD Super Mod/Staff
Reaction score
I wasn't trying to say you should have bought a 120Hz, I was just explaining to Joe what it meant and for any others that might want to know. ;tu
They already have 240Hz refresh rates on TVs, and I am sure by the time that one craps out on you there will be a million advancements in technology.
As soon as you buy something they always come out with something better.

I am impressed, you being a burger flipper and all. :D

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarrburg