5th wheel or trailer?

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
bama-six-gun said:
thanks, wayne. never heard of UVW before. must be related to TT's

my cedar creek has a label UVW 11,480 this is later defined as
weight before water, propane and and any added options NOT included as a base trailer, hitch, oil, coolant etc

when we bought it i weighed it empty with FULL propane zero water or added gear excpet my added options put on when i ordered it
guess what my REAL empty weight was??????
11200 total with 10k even on the axles, so i guess my opting out for some things and adding thers sort of zipped the designed UVW :D

oh if i pull my hitch out i just have two small flat rail plates across the bed width, not to much in the way like my tool boxes are :roflmao

and darn it you guys sucked me in to 3200-popcorn -popcorn

Last edited:

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
nice toy hauler...wonder if he had the toys strapped down in the
back :oops:

look at the front wheels on the truck...looks like some tie rods snapped...

BamaSixGun

SDD Super Mod/Staff
Reaction score
WOW, bet that was a ruff ride. could low tire pressure on the trailer cause it to start bouncing around and then finally go out of control?

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
mountainous area & he's on the down hill side...(truck is actually turned
around on its side...headed in the WRONG direction)

weight imbalance DEFINATELY could cause the whipping (too much weight
in the REAR of the trailer...it is a toy hauler btw...but who knows whats
if anything is IN the trailer)

and im willing to bet that SPEED was a contributing factor...

last thing you wanna do when a trailer starts whipping is to HIT the
brakes (on the TRUCK)...

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
WD40 said:
http://www.firephotonews.com/article.cfm?id=287
Hope this wasn't anyone we know. Hope the sway bars didn't brake.

NO Sway Bar(s) I'd bet. I drive 101 alot, includeing Cuesta grade. I see this kinda thing Alot. On the last trip, going North, about Atascadero... we saw a 24+ TT, pulled by a Jeep Wagoneer (not enough Jeep Wagoneer) Fish tailing so bad, no one would pass him. CHP finally got him pulled over before he lost it. When we went by, I peek over..it was a him'n her, 3 kids and a dog

I lay alot of blame on >some< RV Dealers... for some of this ! If you buy into it... they'll sell a 12K whatever and say you can pull it with yer 1/2 ton pick-up. All they want is a Sale. Buyer Be Ware. Do yer Home-work.

>K< I'm dun Preach'n

02SilverStroke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
BIG JOE said:
they'll sell a 12K whatever and say you can pull it with yer 1/2 ton pick-up. All they want is a Sale. Buyer Be Ware. Do yer Home-work.

>K< I'm dun Preach'n
I hear ya on that one. Ten years ago I purchased my first 5th wheel, a 26 ft. Dutchmen Low Profile Bunk Bed model. Had a 93 F150 I-6, E4OD with a 6K towing capacity. The fiver also weighed 6K empty. We were really careful about where we went, also the times (was easier at night when the pavement was cooler) when we traveled. Then traded this one in on the 99 we currently have, only this one is 6900# unloaded which of course was 900# overloaded on the F150. Needless to say, pulling the fiver is much safer with the PSD than the F150. So, yes, by all means, Do Yer Homework!!!!

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
WD40 said:
http://www.firephotonews.com/article.cfm?id=287
Hope this wasn't anyone we know. Hope the sway bars didn't brake.

that is ugly:eek:
tore that truck up pretty good, lucky no injuries, i bet his diaper needed changing.
probalby to fast and hitch wt not right or like yall said no wd bars, but to stay connected like that i wonder if he didnt have the wd bars on and was just out of control with get there itis :dunno

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
101 S is the "Yellow Brick Road" to Pizmo Beach, the Dune Buggy, Sand "Meca"... from Nor & CenCal. Cuesta grade is about 25 miles from Being there.... Git there itis gets to alot of folks.

I've seen manya Toy Hauler squat on thier tail when they un-hook from the tow vehicle, cuz all the weight is on/in the back of the trailor. Saw one raise the rear wheels of the Pick-up off the ground when he just barely started to un-load.

I give'm Wide Berth on the highway cuz even with the proper hitch setup, some of them "WAGGLE"... the sure sign of an un-balanced load.

Kinda Off, but kinda ON topic here but no matter which way go go.. TT or FW.. balance yer load. And have enough truck to heft and pull it, with the right hitch set-up.

Glassman

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
fisherd said:
Hey everyone, new here and I have been searching for a simple answer on the search forum and can not find max towing capacity. I have a 06 F250 S/D short bed, lariat, 6.0L. Trying to find out what weight I go by is it GVWR or UVW to figure out what I can pull. Looking to purchase a 5th wheel toy hauler. Thanks

Hi gang, I'm looking to step up from my E350 SD, V-10 w/ Banks to something with a big more muscle (make that ALOT more muscle) and I've been enjoying the posts here - great board.

Fisherd, you can check out the Trailer Life Guide:
http://www.trailerlife.com/towratings/2006/TowingRatings_p20_33.pdf

The way I'm reading it, it looks like you're good towing a load up to 12,500 lbs. I'm not sure if that takes into consideration your max payload for that vehicle, but I think it does.;)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58