6.0 changing fuel filters - any special instructions?

TexasA&M

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Getting ready to change the filters on my 2006 6.0. Is there anything special that needs to be done, other than draining the water seperator? Does the system have to be primed or anything?

snicklas

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Texas,

Drain out the water seperator which also emptys the HFCM. Use a 36mm socket to remove the cap. REmove the old filter and o-ring on the cap, replace o-ring and filter and reassemble. Change out the secondary filter and cap o-ring on top of the engine. That will take a 1/2 inch rachet/breaker bar. Use ONLY Motorcraft filters. Do not use aftermarket filters as some do not not have the water seperator and they will VOID the warrenty if there is a fuel system problem and there is no seperator.

Fine69

Reaction score
Make sure you reach up over the front driveshaft when you drain the filter on the frame, or else you'll get the diesel shower we all hate. I always change mine when the tank is almost empty, and I open the fuel cap. (Somebody once said this help's avoid draining a lot of fuel when you pull out the drain plug.) You will need to cycle your key off and on a couple times to prime the system and work the air out.

no-red 6 0

Senioritis
Reaction score
x3......

i always cycle key 4-5 times before starting...

fyi: and i hate to say it, but i have never ever drained the plug...always just unscrewed the cap..and not much liquid gold escapes...

REDJAMESRACING

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
newbie question --but im new never hurts to ask

but where is the fuel filters located at on a 03 6.0

TexasA&M

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info...

Regarding filter brands, I bought the filters from Amsoil. How can I visibly check to make sure that all ofthe bits and pieces that I need are there?

snicklas

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Texas -

The larger filter that goes in the HFCM has a white membrane over the filter folds. It looks sorta like a dryer sheet...... If the pleats are do not have a layer over them they do not have the water seperator membrene. The Seconday does not have the membrane.

REDJAMES -

There are 2 filters:
The Primary is located in the HFCM (Horizontal Fuel Conditioning Module) it is inside the frame rail under the drivers door area. The filter cap points toward the rear of the truck. If you hace a 4x4 there is just enough room that it is difficult do get you hand in there because of the transfer case.
The Secondary is located on top of the engine next to the oil filter. The smaller of the two canisters is the secondary fuel filter.

Jetpilot1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
fuel filter change

make sure you cycle the key 4 or 5 times to prime the system. You can damage the injectors if they get air - just like running out of fuel can.

albran

Very Junior Member
Reaction score
x3......

i always cycle key 4-5 times before starting...

fyi: and i hate to say it, but i have never ever drained the plug...always just unscrewed the cap..and not much liquid gold escapes...

You might want to drain the HFCM.

However

The only time I got more than a few drops of water was the first time @ 6K miles, not sure where the original owner was filling up or how long it sat on the lot but the pint (or so) that comes out was less than 1/4 water.

Not sure about other trucks but I always get the exact same amount out of the HCFM, full/half/empty tank doesn't matter.

ab

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarrburg