6.0 fuel mileage help please

94f450sd

certified nutjob
Reaction score
ok we have an 04 f350 6.0 automatic that we use to pull a 3 car trailer.what is a good programmer or chip for a tow program with good fuel mileage.this thing sucks fuel like crazy when loadedwe need something that a hot shot driver cant turn up or anything unless i do it.

kingkevindavid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will be watching this as well. My truck gets bad mileage as well. No problems with anything just crappy mileage. mine averages 12 - 13 in mostly around town / little to no highway mileage.

firesoutmatt

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Sorry to tell you but there is no way these trucks will get good mileage . They are made to tow and they will use alot of fuel doing so. Using programmer to improve mileage won't offset the price of the programmer . If your looking for more HP and more fuel use then the programmer will help you out there.

94f450sd

certified nutjob
Reaction score
made to tow?!?!?!? this thing dont have enough nut to get out of its own way with an empty trailer on it and even worse with 3 cars.a 40 gas job has more nut than this thing.i dont see how it was made to tow.its kinda embarrasing when a bone stock 7.3 with 4 cars on the trailer passes you and you cant even catch him with your foot in the radiator.

Dogman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What gear is in your truck? I have a 04 f350, 6.0 with 3.73
gears and I pulled a 16K load up mounteagle Tn. two weeks ago and I was passing everything on the road and running about 10mpg+/-. The truck loves to breath and drink hard :sweet

The way the person drives plays a big part in how the truck runs too. Like powering up before you hit the hills or mountains using the trucks weight and load to move you up the hill. On that word, I'm not saying you or anybody else does not know how to drive....OK..;tu just CMB.

Fine69

Reaction score
Yeah, sounds like somebody isn't used to driving a 6.0, or possibly it has some other issues. My 05 won't even hiccup pulling a 10,000 pound Skid Loader.

nascar_fan28

Full Access Member
Reaction score
all the bone stock 7.3s ive rode in had no nuts ... i know my bone stock 6.0 is alot faster... and pulls harder.. as long as i keep it above 1800 rpm it pulls hard. i get 14-16 winter. 16-18 summer

94f450sd

certified nutjob
Reaction score
ive driven this truck unloaded and my stock 7.3 would smoke it with no problem.it just had a motor put in it with the headstuds,brand new,not remanned turbo.it has no sack.hit a hill doin about 70 with your foot to the floor and its working harder than hell to keep up to speed but dropping speed.the driver is driving it right.i wont drive it with a load on it.im not gonna be the one to pop the second engine.if it was me driving it today i woulda pulled over on the highway,put it in park and held it on the floor till the motor blew.thats how bad this thing is.ill never buy a 6.0 :rant

but enough with that.there has to be a way to get some more nut and better fuel mileage out of this thing.it even drinks like a fish with no load on it.my tweaked 7.3 gets better fuel mileage in the wildman/luke cline extreme wich is a nasty program.

Fine69

Reaction score
Theres definitely something wrong with it if a 7.3 runs better than it does. I'd take it back to whoever put the new engine in it and have them check it out.

firesoutmatt

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
ive driven this truck unloaded and my stock 7.3 would smoke it with no problem.it just had a motor put in it with the headstuds,brand new,not remanned turbo.it has no sack.hit a hill doin about 70 with your foot to the floor and its working harder than hell to keep up to speed but dropping speed.the driver is driving it right.i wont drive it with a load on it.im not gonna be the one to pop the second engine.if it was me driving it today i woulda pulled over on the highway,put it in park and held it on the floor till the motor blew.thats how bad this thing is.ill never buy a 6.0 :rant

but enough with that.there has to be a way to get some more nut and better fuel mileage out of this thing.it even drinks like a fish with no load on it.my tweaked 7.3 gets better fuel mileage in the wildman/luke cline extreme wich is a nasty program.

You need more than what a programmer will do if your truck is a dog like you say it is. Yours isn't what a normal 6.0 will do if what your saying is true . You need to find a good 6.0 tech and get it fixed because what your doing so far isn't working...........:notworthy

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58