6.0 fuel mileage help please

94f450sd

certified nutjob
Reaction score
You need more than what a programmer will do if your truck is a dog like you say it is. Yours isn't what a normal 6.0 will do if what your saying is true . You need to find a good 6.0 tech and get it fixed because what your doing so far isn't working...........:notworthy

first off dont be trying to talk to me like im an idiot or something.ive been messing with cars and trucks for 24 years.i usually dont mess with the 6.0s cuz they suck.never seen one that impresses me.

im gonna toss my scanner on it this weekend when it has down time.i dont know what it has for gears as i havent checked it yet.im almost willing to bet that my idi would pull the trailer better.my 94 superduty wieghs 9200 empty.with 9500 pounds on the back it will start at the bottom of a hill doing 35 and ill hit 50mph before i get to the top.this 6.0 loses speed when it hits a hill.

Dogman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
94f450sd, Has the pcm been looked at to see if there a program problem? I ask because I had a cyclinder that would drop out under power but would not set a code ended up being the pcm had a bug. Dealer put a new one in and have had no problems. I'm trying to remember if the motor had a timed fuel pump, and have you rebuilt the Fuel Conditioning Module? I have seen some post on this on some other sites? I just tossing things out there I have seen and heard about.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
These motors do not use a Timed Fuel Pump, that is old technology. Electronic fuel injection should be right on.

Dave

Dan's BAMS

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
MPG experience

While I only do highway cruising without towing - and I have only 30K on my 2003 F350 Centennial Crew with LWB - I have always gotten exactly17 mpg on the highway at 78-82 mph and 16.9 when on local trips. My mpg doesn't seem to change much at all whether I'm at 70 mph or 82-5 mph on the road. Has Banks turbo back exhaust.

Jetpilot1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
94f450sd

You sound like you want to just bash 6.0's. A stock properly running 6.0 will outpull your 7.3 anyday, unless it is heavily modded. 24 years of working on trucks or not, maybe you should get someone else to work on your 6.0 so you can see what a good 6.0 runs like.

atk

Reaction score
i take it all the filter`s have been changed or are somewhat new....

what is your fuel pressure?(will be a dog if fuel pressure is low)
do you have guages in the truck?(whats the boost pressure like?)
does it have a cat?(could be restricted)(check the muffler while you are at it)

if you can hook up a scanner and do some data logging, it may help us help you....

FWIW....nobody i think meant to knock your mechanical ability, but ther are tech`s that had the training on these 6.0L and they still can`t fix them properly....:)

Sabsan84

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
wow, alot of interesting info...I do not know what is wrong with your truck, but I do recommend Bill at POWERSTROKEHELP.COM - The Information Source for Ford Power Stroke Diesel Owners, he will....on that note, I have a 7.3 and 6.0, and the 6.0 is quite noticeably superior in terms of performance and quietness. However, it seems that your truck is under performing for sure, maybe they put in a VT365 from International that has 190HP instead of a 325HP Power stroke version software or something?? Have the truck dynoed, check the power level, and what is your rear end ratio, it may be geared as like a site truck, so it will be slow on the highway. Is the truck governed??? I dunno, very strange situation, have a good tech drive it and document the symptoms, then present it to your lawyer if it is indeed driving as you describe, and remember it is a heavy truck, not a 350Z, it is not meant to be fast, even if it is faster than a 7.3, even duramax's are fast for trucks, but not fast.

94f450sd

certified nutjob
Reaction score
You sound like you want to just bash 6.0's. A stock properly running 6.0 will outpull your 7.3 anyday, unless it is heavily modded. 24 years of working on trucks or not, maybe you should get someone else to work on your 6.0 so you can see what a good 6.0 runs like.

wanna see me bash them?ive never seen a good one.everybody i know that has or had one hates them.you should not have to hold the thing to floor to climb a small hill with an unloaded trailer and still lose speed.

there is no cat,has 5 inch system on it.the motor was just replaced,has only 30,000 miles on the motor.had the head studs done before it was put in along with a brand new turbo.all filters are new.my idi is a fuel pig but doesnt use half the amount of fuel this 6.0 uses.i dont know what it has for gears,not my truck and i havent looked yet.

Dogman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
94f450sd, I dont know what to say. You have a problem someware. It could be something like the wrong size turbo or a bad turbo even if its new. Turbo being to large in return would make the motor bog, give crappy mpg and not able to tow. Is there a shop around you that can DINO the truck? This could be the best way to find out whats going on.

Bash the 6.0 all you want. All truck dealers have there problem trucks and motors. All I know is that my 10K pound truck can run door to door with a mustang GT and my 35" tires will light up at a light on take off and I cant play with my programmer on stage 3 because 40psi of boost is not good on the motor or I end up in the shop getting a new top end. I know this, I've been there ones already. Good luck on the fix..

no-red 6 0

Senioritis
Reaction score
Theres definitely something wrong with it if a 7.3 runs better than it does. I'd take it back to whoever put the new engine in it and have them check it out.

rich-
this to me seems the best piece of advice - at least if it has any type of warranty on the work done...

secondly i know you are not one to 'bash' anything - i can thoroughly understand you are just frustrated - as I have been and you seem to be.

it definately sounds like there is an issue and i can understand you have a displeasure of working on them - so is there a place you trust you can take it to if my first sentence does not ring true?

hang in there and we/you will get it figured out..could be something simple.:doh:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58