6.0 Gremlins

dawop

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Hard Core Dieselers,

I have a on going problem with my 2003 F350 6.0L Super Duty. The truck has been in and out of the shop for some time. This truck has had surging problems since I purchased it a few years back. Regular visits to the Ford dealer has produced no changes and the truck continues to surge. The truck will idle nice and smooth and then will change idle pattern and begin idling rough. It will then change idle pattern and run smooth. This continues over and over. At stop lights the truck will idle smooth and then rough, idle smooth, idle rough... At driving speed the truck runs and sounds great. A second on going problem is starting the truck, it feels and sounds like it has a very weak, low RPM start. It almost sound like it is starved for fuel. Once it starts it slowly picks up RPM and then idles rough for about 20 seconds before smoothing out. The dealer mechanics still have not produced any positive corrections. All filters have been replaced numerous times, EPR cleaned and replaced, additives added, no codes are called out and I have tried different fuels from different stations with the same problems. I have just accepted this as my 6.0 personality. Any idea's? Other buddies of mine have had no similar problems like I have been experiencing?:confused:

KRISTOLSON

Full Access Member
Reaction score
could you tell us everything that the shop has done to it so far? Have they torn into anything or looked at injectors/ipr/hpop? The '03s were riddled with problems and I think there are many things that could contribute to what you are describing. Another thing to consider... have you taken it to a different shop yet? there is a HUGE difference between a good shop and a bad one, and since ford dealers are independently owned, they vary widely from one to the next. A good shop that deals with superduties all the time should have no problem with diagnosing something like this, especially if you can get it to act up while it is there. You should never have to take it back REGULARLY for YEARS! And remember, if you originally took in the truck for the problem while the warranty was still active, ford will pay for the repair. You may have to bitch a little, but they will do it.

Last edited:

dawop

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I agree with the idea that not all Ford Dealer and the quality/training of the techs are the same. Word of mouth in the Omaha Nebraska area is the dealers are lacking good diesel techs. What they have done is flashed PCM, EGR valve, computer analysis, told me to run lighter oil in winter would stop the surging, supposely replaced the fuel pump and tell me there is nothing wrong with the truck. Even though is surges like a MOFO... After a year of hearing nothing was wrong with the truck, I decided it was the 6.0L gremlin and have just been dealing with a truck I feel should be running far better. I have buddies who swear by the 6.0 and love the engine. They have had no problems with the their motor. Their trucks run for 2003 thru 2006 year models.:confused:

KRISTOLSON

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would really lean towards an injector problem....They can be difficult to diagnose if they don't throw a code, and they can come and go. Anybody else have any ideas??? Sounds like the dealer has no idea, and doesn't want to invest the time to do more than plug in the obd2. The 6.0 shouldn't just run like ****... it is a pretty great motor when working properly.

KRISTOLSON

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How bout an international truck shop? They would definitely have a trained diesel tech on hand, and it is an international/navistar motor, afterall. Same as the vt365.

dawop

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
You are on the right track. I have been told to find a truck stop and see if the problem can be diagnosed there rather then through the Ford Dealer. Presently in the hunt for a good truck stop mechanic with knowledge on the Navstar/International and could help with the problem, since the Ford Dealers seem reluctent to deal with my long term motor problem???

RoyBoy

Diesel Dork
Reaction score
1. Be sure your engine oil is at or slightly below the full line on the dipstick.

2. Did they check the fuel pressure coming from the HFCM?

3 Any codes keep coming up? CEL on?

no-red 6 0

Senioritis
Reaction score
my vote is a new dealer...

i had same issues and once i found the 'right' dealer-problem solved

good luck - keep us informed

dawop

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Presently trying to locate a new dealer in the Omaha Area. Hopefully this will easy the pain and produce results. I was told the engine is producing no codes other then a low boost. But this came up once and has not appear again. Technician said it was probably a dirty turbo and told me to get on the motor hard once in a while and this will keep the turbo clean? The low boost has never come back. As for other codes... None... The fuel pressure is fine which leaves me thinking it a 6.0 Gremlin. I'm ready to start pushing for injectors.

KRISTOLSON

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Next time it is in a shop, have them run a buzz test on the injectors...But the turbo underboost code has me interested... This code AND your symptoms could be caused by a bad vgt actuator, or a faulty or dirty egr valve. Make sure they check these as well.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14