6.0 Gremlins

Yooper75

Boost Junky
Reaction score
Your truck is doing the same thing mine did when I first owned the truck. The dealer here replaced everything on the turbo except the housing at first and then they finally put a new turbo on and I havent been back since except to have the alternator replaced. I would lean strongly towards a dirty or stuck turbo.

KRISTOLSON

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your truck is doing the same thing mine did when I first owned the truck. The dealer here replaced everything on the turbo except the housing at first and then they finally put a new turbo on and I havent been back since except to have the alternator replaced. I would lean strongly towards a dirty or stuck turbo.

Turbo underboost code can also warrant a turbo replacement in a worst case scenario. Sounds like the dealer just has to get their hands dirty, and they should be able to find the problem no problem. Red 6 0-no knows a thing or two about turbo problems, wonder if he has had any of these symptoms?

Last edited:

Yooper75

Boost Junky
Reaction score
It took the dealer having my truck for about a month of them saying the truck is done and then me taking it for a 5 mile test drive and dropping it back off saying that it was not fixed and to solve the problem. I was also a litte bit of a PITA because the dealer is about 500ft from where I work so I would stop by on my way home each night and ask if it was done yet.

KRISTOLSON

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yooper, so if they replaced everything on the turbo but the housing,and when they replaced the housing it took care of it, it must ahve been the vgt sytem acting up?

Yooper75

Boost Junky
Reaction score
yooper, so if they replaced everything on the turbo but the housing,and when they replaced the housing it took care of it, it must ahve been the vgt sytem acting up?

Yes and the mechanic that was working on the truck could get the VGT to work in the shop with the computer but when we took it out on the road the vanes would stick. The mechanic also said that this was the first turbo he had seen that had 130k on it that had not been replaced and the unison ring was worn out and thats what started the hole thing.

no-red 6 0

Senioritis
Reaction score
i had NO surging or idleing issues..... one nite (while plowing) i pulled out of the lot onto the street, flipped switch back to 2x and hit the go pedal and NOTHING....

the shop i took it to (at the time) - for the blue smoke issue(i was getting nowhere w/ the selling dealership) and the no power issue called me to say it was done. spoke w/ the guy who told me they found a leaky injector and replaced it, hooked it back up to the computer to test everything and they said 'wow-the turbo is shot'...i am thinking to myself "no chit sherlock" which is why i brought it to them.... that replaced the factory one.

when i had all my issues taken care of part of the 'new parts list' included an new factory upgraded turbo (mechanic said mine was the first he had done). that is the one i have now and i have 'no' issues w/ it and have had none since it was put in. it sings (whistles) to me every day..:notworthy

HOPEFULLY they got yours right too. good luck

yooper-
i am curious; has your dealer ever said anything about your 'fuel quality' there in MI? mine has ALWAYS told me that i needed 50+ cetane like they have coming from the plant(s) in MI.......just wondering...maybe do some digging and see what you can find out about at what your diesel is rated at-i would be interested.

Last edited:

Yooper75

Boost Junky
Reaction score
My dealer has never said anything about the quality of fuel or the Cetane rating that we have here in MI. I am however very picky at where I purchase my fuel from and wont stop just anywhere unless I know they sell a ton of diesel and I always use PS Cetane boost and anti gel(White bottle red cap) in my fuel at about an ounce a gallon. I know in general that the quality of fuel is going down and I refuese to pay the 3.29/gal for #1 diesel. I will try and due some investigating to get some info for you.

no-red 6 0

Senioritis
Reaction score
cool beans and thanks...

i too use the red capped bottle at about 8 oz per tank...

and holy crude oil batman, diesel is $1.85 as i filled up last nite...cost me a whopping $54.80

fordoor

SDD Member
Reaction score
Early on my truck had very similar issues. The dealer changed out the I.C.P. sensor, but they also reflashed at the same time, so I don't know for certain what fixed it. Also I started using Stanadyne Performance Additive after that and have had no problems (at least w/injectors or fuel related, original injectors,95k.)Also, the latest flash to my truck(your truck maybe?)cycles the e.g.r. valve on and off at idle to help it last longer before it starts acting up, I guess the idea is. Is this the rough/smooth at idle your talking about maybe? Also, I can't agree more w/ everyone regarding the techs experience level between dealerships(night and day). It sounds like you're on the right track now hopefully.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14