6.0 guys, come on in!

Lord Tauk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I guess this should really be in the 6.0 Specific Forum, but I'll try here.

I explained a while back I was going to be shopping for a used Superduty around this time, and I'm about to go look browsing some dealers lot.I was leaning towards a 4x4 7.3L, 2000-2003 F250/F350 SRWs, XL or XLT, Automatic trans, standard cab with an 8 foot bed or a Supercab with a 6 foot bed; low miles is always a plus.

I came across an 04 Standard Cab 4x4 F250 with an 8 foot bed, however it seems to have a past setup of plowing meaning it probably was run hard - however this truck has low miles for the price they are offering.

Something is fishy though, the same dealer has another lot closer to my home but with another F250 with the same specs as the White one except, with a slightly higher price and it comes with a Snow plow too. So obviously, both of these trucks were together in something and some point as my first thought would be.

What are some things to look for on the 6.0? Is there a nice FAQ site someone has made on it? I can pretty figure out everything except I haven't looked for where the fuel filter is and what tools require to pull it apart. I guess the CPS is a little better on these trucks, as far as the number of factory ones that fail? Anything other than the motor that's prone to wear? The 5R110 holding up good?

I plan on obviously doing a Carfax, and getting an OASIS report. Anyone know any major recalls in the 04s?

Another question is, 2004.. Gold coolant correct? Don't need SCAs? I have Fleetguard strips, and it'd still be wise to check it you think? I don't see why not.

I'm eyeing up the white F250, however the Grey F250 has been sitting on that specific lot for quite some time now, atleast 3 months. I haven't done any test drives yet though, possibly tomorrow or Saturday.

Here are the links for the two trucks;
http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?car_id=207528011&dealer_id=2868599&car_year=2004&model=F250&num_records=25&bkms=1157060566787&lang=en&start_year=2000&mod_bookmark_id=null&certified=&search_type=both&distance=25&make=FORD&min_price=&address=21001&advanced=&end_year=2004&max_price=&cardist=13

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?car_id=203511835&dealer_id=626238&car_year=2004&model=F250&num_records=25&bkms=1157060566787&lang=en&start_year=2000&mod_bookmark_id=null&certified=&search_type=both&distance=25&make=FORD&min_price=&address=21001&advanced=&end_year=2004&max_price=&cardist=0

Big Nuts Racing

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I am not an authority by any means, I can only speak on past experiences. I had a 2003 6.0 PSD...I had all the problems in the world with it, it was just replaced yesterday with a 2007 and I cannot believe the word of difference in the way each one runs. With that said, I know there are a lot of people out there with 6.0 PSD that run great and have very minimal issues, I suppose one thing to think about would be warranty. If that 6.0 breaks, it is not the cheapest to fix. Sorry I could not be more help.

Lord Tauk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a relative with an 04 SuperCrew 4x4 Longbed SRW that he uses to tow his horse trailer and tow farm equipment around; he also has problems.. most recently is with an oil leak that a dealer had to use the dye under the ultraviolet light.

I know about the 6.0s, but hopefully these two trucks dont have any real big issues.

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
gold coolant had n problems it eleminated the need to test
i would go with the gray, better tires, wheels and nicer looking interior

have the dealer run an oasis on both vins, then let your good sense prevail
i hate white trucks, its to governmental for me :D but thats just cuz i be a retired sailor :D

Lord Tauk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
powerboatr said:
gold coolant had n problems it eleminated the need to test
i would go with the gray, better tires, wheels and nicer looking interior

have the dealer run an oasis on both vins, then let your good sense prevail
i hate white trucks, its to governmental for me :D but thats just cuz i be a retired sailor :D

So the gold colored coolant Motorcraft started using eliminated the need use SCAs, or even to test the coolant? Sounds good to me.

The Gray truck does appear to be a little bit nicer.

EDIT: Both trucks look like they have a leveling kit installed?

Maxtor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
suggestion

For another $10,000 you can buy a new one from the factory, with all the extra's that you want. A standard cab would even be less. The later the truck, the more problems solved with the 6.0 setup. I would think it would be worth the extra 8 to 10 K. Dealers are hurting now, and you probably could get a killer deal on a new one.

Lord Tauk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd agree with that Maxtor, however up in the Mid atlantic (Maryland) here, Dealerships seem to want the very top dollar for Powerstrokes, used or new.

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ive had no problems w/ my 04 and ive towed a bunch w/ it...
Id stay away from the 03's theyre problematic at best.

you want an 04 w/ a build date after september 2003.

get the dealer to give you the owner / registration history
on both trucks and a COMPLETE oasis report (itll list every
service ever performed by any ford dealer warrenty or otherwise)....
if the dealer wont give you the info then RUN dont walk from 'em.

if youre STILL curious get the vin numbers and talk the the folks
here (or at flatratetech) for the vin/oasis history

CBSuperDuty

Got Looney???
Reaction score
I have an 04 and it has been great. A few bumps in the road but that is to be expected. The grey one has less miles and is an XLT and the white one is an XL.

Tx_Atty

Master Baiter
Reaction score
Are your dealers offering the 0% like they are here? That could make up for a lot of the price difference of a new one. They are going as long as 6 years.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarrburg