6.0 Has bit the dust again

Mike K

يساعد المعركة لحرية
Reaction score
The military uses a lot of Fords, it seems like they are phasing out all the dodge and chevys..... so i COULD say that we have a lot of problems with the Fords but that would be a little unfair because i cant compare them to Dodge or Chevys because they aint here :)

The 6.0s do have a few problems though, the EGRs are always getting clogged but that may be due to all the low speed travel. Overall, i dont regret the purchase of my 6.0.

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mike K.

Good info, and i would agree...ive said it before the EGR and its
associated upstream & downstream components have been the
largest problem area for the 6.0L

PARA-FIRE14

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Alright all you bashers. The station I work at has two trucks with the 6.0. The rest of the County has the rest. They have been the biggest mistake the County has made. Not because they are Ford, but because the Ford dealerships can't find a fix. These trucks do not ever get driven easy. Its drove hard from start to finish. The man over the County Fleet is trying to blame the problem on winches and other items mounted on the trucks. He claims Ford engineers are telling him this. As far as a tripple post the website stated I was logged out and when I submitted it went through three times. Guess Bush never makes a mistake. Oh and yes as far as my personel vehicles I am die hard GM. I thought I found a site with some expert knowledge about Ford trucks, but I thinking its more about bashing people for their spelling or grammar. Its not my fault the 6.0 has turned out to be Fords largest money loss.

Thanks,

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i make plenty o mistakes...and i am the WORST at spelling and grammer...
im not judging you for that.

im w/ you no winch (unless it blocks considerable airflow) could be
to blame for an engine issue.

i suspect your trucks spend a large amount of time idling too...have
you all installed hi-idlers or PTO idlers ?

youre gonna have to be a little more DESCRIPTIVE about the problems
and symptoms for any "expert" to help you....

as for gm...you driving a diesel ? not like they have messed that up
themselves before...how 'bout the 1st 2 model year duramax's...couldnt
keep a fuel pump together on those could they...had to extend the warrenty
on 'em out to 200k miles just to TRY and keep the customers from running
off the lot.

and ive had my 1st mod. year issues (not my w/ my 6.0 though)...i can
share w/ you stories about how BMW can mess up fuel injection and
deny the problem for 5 model years and then all of a sudden fix it and
ANNOUNCE that theyve resolve FI issues...

we wanna help...but you gotta give us something to freekin' go on...
engine codes, symptoms, parts replaced etc...

come in here w/ an open mind, willing to learn about the 6.0L (you cant
fix something if you dont understand how it works) and we'll lend our
experiance and knowledge to help you fix it (but remember we just OWN
'em and WORK on 'em)

if all you wanna do is complain and broadly making assumptions
then this probably isnt the right forum for you...im sure the gm guys would
be happy to have you there.

Reaction score
Alright all you bashers. The station I work at has two trucks with the 6.0. The rest of the County has the rest. They have been the biggest mistake the County has made. Not because they are Ford, but because the Ford dealerships can't find a fix. These trucks do not ever get driven easy. Its drove hard from start to finish. The man over the County Fleet is trying to blame the problem on winches and other items mounted on the trucks. He claims Ford engineers are telling him this. As far as a tripple post the website stated I was logged out and when I submitted it went through three times. Guess Bush never makes a mistake. Oh and yes as far as my personel vehicles I am die hard GM. I thought I found a site with some expert knowledge about Ford trucks, but I thinking its more about bashing people for their spelling or grammar. Its not my fault the 6.0 has turned out to be Fords largest money loss.

Thanks,

PF,

I'm sure most of us find you are sincere in your request for help. Unfortunately, we have had a lot of folks who just want *****/whine/complain about Ford, without really looking for help. We have no use for that here.
I applaud you for wanting to help fix a problem for your department that's probably not "technically" your issue. Like Bush said, if you can give us more details regarding the two trucks in your department, we'll be happy to try and post some ideas. :thanks

W4RLR

High Tech Hillbilly
Reaction score
Okay, let's put a few cards on the table.

1. You are a diehard GM man by your own admission.
2. You state that every 6.0 in your county's fleet of vehicles is experiencing trouble. Statistically speaking, that is a fluke.
3. Your statement about Ford and its "biggest money loss' is also suspect. The 6.0 is hardly Ford's biggest money loss. The 6.0 did not bring Ford to its knees, marketing cars that did not meet the expectations of the buying public did. The only success stories for Ford have been the Super Duty truck line and the Mustang. They can't keep either vehicle line in stock at dealerships.

While you may have legitimate concerns, your posts sound a lot like the Ford bashng posts on The Diesel Stop. At that site, Fords are nothing but trouble, and you would think that GM and Dodge hung the moon. This is one of the reasons why people who used to post there now post here.

Get specific with some of the problems the county is having, and there are guys on this forum who can come up with a fix. But being general about the problems and making statements about a "biggest money loss". will not increase your credibility.

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
fwiw the superduty is fords most PROFITABLE vehicle...to the tune
of selling an average of 50k trucks PER MONTH (low months LAST year were 49k
and the highest months sales exceeded 54k)

and if that werent enough (to enforce the sales numbers and popularity
of fords trucks)...when it comes to the f150 it is, as they say...
americas number one selling fullsize pick up truck

Last edited:

PARA-FIRE14

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
More Info.

Okay now that we have an understanding about bashing. I did not come on here to slam Ford. I do prefer GM and thats my right. For your statistic person you need to do some and compare the Duramax,Cummings,and the 6.0 Power Stroke. I thing you will find way more problems with the 6.0. Now, The trucks in question do have automatic high idelers installed. The trucks at my dept. have only given an Engine code once. It referneced the EGR system and Injector problems. Don't remeber the exact Code number. Sicne then one truck has had 4 turbos replaced the hoses on the turbo stay off more than on and the aftercooler has been replaced twice. This is a 2003 model. The other truck is a 2004 and it has had similar problems and is on its 2 turbo and has to have the hood repaired because the hose on the turbo came off and bent the hood. This was a terrible day since that truck was still new. Alright as far as the problems experienced, when the trucks start acting up it will surge going down the road and puff black smoke everytime it surges. It has also continuously blown black smoke and had no power. The truck has set at regular idle ( not very long no more than 10 min.) and started reving up and down. It sounded alomost like a gas motor with a high lift cam. The 2003 also has started blowing anti-freeze from some where on the drivers side. The coolant jug has been replaced and was supposed to have a corrected max fill line. The temp. hand also started bouncing from hot to normal during this time, but the engine and other componets under the hood were not very hot. Not the normal for someting running hot. Was thinking maybe the coolant spraying under the hood could have been getting on some electrical connections causing that problem. I hope this site can shed some new light on what they might be over looking. They are wanting to remove our winches and they have already cut the power back on acceleration so much our 50,000 lb trucks take off faster that these two.The question was also asked if I even had a diesel and the answer is yes and its an older Ford non turdo 7.3. I am not directly responsible for the major repairs on the vehicles in our Dept., but I have grew up working on trucks, cars, tractors and all kinds of other things. I can not stand for someone to talk to me like I was born yesterday about technical things. I'm not the brightest light buld in the box but I get by. I take pride in all the rucks we are issued no matter what kind they are and we take care of our equipment. Both trucks are nice looking trucks and the motor has impressive power when its running right. My problem is they can't get them to stay working. Sure I know all things made have problems even my pick of vehicles. I hope this gives you a better understanding of me and the problems we are having with the engines.

Thanks

Kleetus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Out of curiosity... do these trucks still have the pilot injection? Saxonburgh VFC has a 2004 as a brush truck, and they went through 3 turbos so far... I was at a fire a few months back and was shocked to see the truck running at high idle, and I couldn't even tell the thing was on. I walked over because the headlights were on, and I thought the batteries would go dead. It wasn't until I got within 10 feet of it that I could hear a faint engine sound. I don't know if that could be part of the problem with your rigs.

Butler Ambulance service has a fleet of them, and other that the one box that likes to hit cars (it's hit 3 to date+1 deer) they haven't had a problem with them. You know what their service is like, idle for an hour with the A/C on, then full throttle to scene, then idle again.

As far as your boots blowing off, that has been addressed here several times, clean the pipes and hoses well with carb cleaner, and apply just a little silicone sealant, and reassemble. Give it some time to set up, and you should be fine. Why did they replace the intercooler on the one truck? They're not very apt to breaking, unless something got punched through it.. rock, stick... what have you...

What job are your trucks doing? Squad, utility, brush truck?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58