6.0 problems

sesco4

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I'm new to the forum and have a question for the 6.0 owners. After a little bit of checking around it seems like alot of people are saying stay away from the 6.0 engines. What seems to be some of the issues with these engines is there certain year models that seem to be better than others. I hope to be buying me a truck within the next few months and would like to have a good headsup on what to look for.

bob68vw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well from my experiance that my wallet and wifes purse are going through right now stay away from the 03 model. From what I've read on here find one that has a maint record, cause they are very important to how well your truck will run and how much money you will have to spend on fixing things. poor maint = more dollars spent good maint = happier wallet. I got a friend that has a 05 and drives it like he stole it, has had no major problems, but is anal about changing his oil and fuel filters.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
If you leave the engine stock, they don't seem to have more problems that other engines. If you put a tuner or chip in it you could have head gasket problems. Exhaust and air cleaners are OK for that little bit more. I have a '04 6.0 with 120,000 miles on it and I have not had major problems, just the usual injector replacement (one) and my FICM needed to be replaced. It runs great as it is - stock. Many here will disagree, but that is my take on it. Get an '04 or later and you should be OK.

Dave

09SuperDuty

Rockin` a F550
Reaction score
and i`m gonna say 07 and up, but its all in how its used and abused. lol

i`ve had two 05`s and together they have had 5 sets of head gaskets, 5 egr cooler replacements, 3 FICM modules, 19 individual injector(s) replacements, 2 egr valves.

But i will say these trucks did not get the best fuel, carry loads of 14k+ lbs every day of their life and idle ALOT.

ckamp52

ckamp52
Reaction score
like they said 04 and up id even say 05 and up you should be better off than an 03,,drive it like thery are meant to be used and maintain it well and they are good trucks..they just take a little more maint than the older diesels due to all the egr emmissions bs they have to put on em now...ive had a few issues with mine but nothing major just ficm, y-pipe, and alternator...cleaned the egr about every 15k when i had one

bwford07

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
i have an good 04 6.0 i only have to fix is the egr valve system on it it didn't cost me alot i spent $40 cause it was under warranty thats about it

WD40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I havent had any problems with my 06, runs good and still pulls my almost
17,000lb. fifth wheel just fine.
Doug

fordoor

SDD Member
Reaction score
My 03' had all the usual problems that I'm hearing happen even from a few of the newer 05',6,7's. Including head gaskets.- But yes, I believe the 03' was more problematic; this was the first year out for the 6.0. Fortunately all the problems happened under warranty, and dealer was O.K. w/ installing my supplied ARP head studs. Now that I'm finally out of warranty, egr delete kit is going on and I will take great pleasure in tossing the cooler in the bin. Earlier owners were the guinea pigs. We learned firsthand about block casting sand circulating in the cooling system and the need for aftermarket filtration so we wouldn't plug up our oil & egr coolers and blow H.G.'s. Anyway, getting to the point; now that all the bugs seem to be out, and regardless of the huge inconvenience and pain in the *****, truck runs great and I still love it. Like others have mentioned here; and what ever year you end up w/, remember to budget for religious maintenance. Don't be afraid to buy one if it's had new coolers,egr,or headgaskets, and preferably one that has had studs installed, and oh yeah,coolant filter!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarrburg