6.0 Runability Issues: SCMT at fault?

TexasExcursion

GOD Bless America!
Reaction score
My truck (read sig) just clicked 75K on the odometer. I've been having runability issues since 56k; the basis of problems is an exceptionally loud "turbo fart" when letting off the accelerator or during uphill acceleration, especially when pulling 11k trailer. By "exceptionally loud" I mean the sound of a pot and pan slamming together two or three times. Here's a brief rundown of problems:

-56K: Loud turbo fart, SES light; checked/cleared codes with SCMT, returned to stock setting, truck ran fine. Truck was originally programmed on Tow Safe pulling trailer up a hill.

-57K: Loud turbo fart again, SES light, PCM still on stock setting. Ford replaced turbo with remanned turbo. Also replaced exhaust down pipe because it was cracked.

-62K: Occasional loud turbo fart, no SES light; Ford replaced exhaust back pressure sensor and connector, replaced EBP sensor and connector.

-63K: Ford replaced PCM

-66K: Occasional loud turbo fart, no SES light; Ford replaced EGR

Most of the time when I get the loud turbo fart, I've got the PCM programmed on Tow Safe. I've currently got it programmed on High Performance (I'm not towing during the winter)and the problem isn't as bad , I rarely get the loud turbo fart. I've only had the problem one or two times when programmed to the stock setting. BUT, as we all know, the 6.0 is pretty gutless (and unsafe) on acceleration from a dead stop, hence the SCMT. I don't dog the truck or race it, just average driving.

I'm still running the stock exhaust, and my SCMT was updated by Superchips when my truck got flashed at 58K.

If I've omitted any relevant info, let me know and I'll provide it.

Help would be great, especially before the RV season starts! Thanks.

Powersmokin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You may want to try a custom tuner such as the SCT. the scmt is more of a production tuner its not customized to your truck. with the sct excalibrator u can get 3 custom tunes with many different options. Also u might try a 4 inch exhaust system as well. Whether it be cat back or (YEAH!!! i can actually say this here) turbo back with a removed cat.

Check in the sponsors list of this site and see who offers the SCT.:sweet

TexasExcursion

GOD Bless America!
Reaction score
Powersmokin said:
You may want to try a custom tuner such as the SCT. the scmt is more of a production tuner its not customized to your truck. with the sct excalibrator u can get 3 custom tunes with many different options. Also u might try a 4 inch exhaust system as well. Whether it be cat back or (YEAH!!! i can actually say this here) turbo back with a removed cat.

Check in the sponsors list of this site and see who offers the SCT.:sweet

UPS delivered the 4" MBRP turbo back exhaust today, so that base is covered after this weekend's install.

I'm not sure that I'm tracking the difference between the SCMT and the SCT...they're both superchips tuners, correct? Is the SCT going to provide that big a difference in the tuning from the SCMT? I think I'll see how she runs after the exhaust is installed and go from there--I'd hate to re-mod something on the truck.

Last edited:

Powersmokin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
SCT and SCMT are both superchips tuners but the SCT can be customized to your truck for example u can tell them if u have a cool air intake or the 4 inch exhaust and they can change files in the tune so that it will make a bigger difference. they have different tunes such as economy, tow, extreme, extreme street etc. And the shifting from what i have been told with the SCT excal is a 100 times better. ALso if u want to make a change to the tune they email it to u instead of u sendin in the whole tuner. Check with the vendors here on SuperDutyDiesel.:thumbs

TexasExcursion

GOD Bless America!
Reaction score
Powersmokin said:
SCT and SCMT are both superchips tuners but the SCT can be customized to your truck for example u can tell them if u have a cool air intake or the 4 inch exhaust and they can change files in the tune so that it will make a bigger difference.

That makes more sense, sure wish I knew that before buying the SCMT, I would've gone for the SCT. I'll see how the 4" exhaust does before doing anything on the tuner. Thanks for the help :thanks

JohnBoyToo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Actually - SCT has taken pains to say they are not related to Superchips.... dunno about that, but that's what they say...

Probably because the SCMT was really lambasted by a host of people when Superchips was touting it as a 150 HP increase....
after many did dyno runs and all to prove it was more in the 90 hp range, Superchips decided to redefine the terms to match their misrepresentation :)

they started talking about increase at peak versus peak increase - etc... etc.. very Clintonian :)

TexasExcursion

GOD Bless America!
Reaction score
JohnBoyToo said:
Probably because the SCMT was really lambasted by a host of people when Superchips was touting it as a 150 HP increase....
after many did dyno runs and all to prove it was more in the 90 hp range, Superchips decided to redefine the terms to match their misrepresentation :)

This may be a longshot, but has there been any action on SC's part of refunding money for the tuner if the owner has had engine trouble like I've had? Doesn't hurt to ask...

Powersmokin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Somethin else that just registerd in my mind that i forgot earlier for some reason is that the 03s and 04s with the 10 vain turbo have tons of turbo problems. my neighbor has an 03 with like 20000 miles and has had 3 turbos and all he does is pull a 22 foot four winns boat. my friend tows a goose neck trailer and has gone through 2 turbos as well. i think it might just be an 03 problem if its not linked to the scmt

JohnBoyToo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Gosh, Powersmokin....
not following you around, but.... :)

the 03's didn't have the 10 vane turbo's did they ?
(I had one and miss the whine on my 05 :))...
hence the Exceptional turbo wine they have over the 04's and up...

And for some reason I don't recall tons of turbo problems...
at least the few people I know haven't had any... but that's just my small window...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58