Question 6.0 Stuff, Ideas, problems

snicklas

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I have seen since it has gotten colder here, into the 30's at night..... On the first start of the day it idles a little rough, and has a little blue smoke for the first 15-20 Seconds.... What I would expect from a diesel... the cylinders, pistons and heads are cold and any heat that is created from the first few firings are cooled by the engine, once it starts to retain some heat, it will run smoother. I am due for a oil change, fuel filter change. It may clear up some after my service. If what you are seeing is actually light blue and smells like diesel exhaust and not white, I would say it is perfectly normal.....

BTW - If i plug the block heater in, and the block is somwehat warm, I do not have the rough idle or blue smoke..... that says to me it is a lack of heat issue.....

missingsc331

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i am also from the richmond area. there is a shop in va beach called twisted diesel 757 491 2008. they are pretty nice guys and will help you with all your powerstroke needs. i personally have not had any work done but 4 of my friends have had work done there and were satisfied

Jetpilot1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
snicklas

The blue smoke on cold startup is more likely due to inefficient injector operation when cold with 15W weight oil. The injectors suffer from sticktion, when cold and don't operate as intended. As the oil and the injectors warm (as well as the engine), the smoke clears and things operate normally. The 6.4 and the 6.0 are very similar engines, with the exception of piezo electric injectors vs the 6.0 and 7.3 hydraulic injectors. The 6.4 has vastly better cold start characteristics because the piezo injectors are not affected by the cold like the hydraulic ones are. Plugging the engine in just causes the injectors to be warmer, and more efficient.

Smoky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
... You have to pull pretty hard to get filter to pop out.. Sucks cuz you fling oil around when it pops loose.. But easiest engine to change oil on.. Pretty nice design

put the filter and cap in a plastic shopping bag like you get from walley world then pull the filter element free from the cap. The bag keeps the splatter in the bag?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
castellscl