6.0 with overheating issues

BamaSixGun

SDD Super Mod/Staff
Reaction score
I have no idea why the coolant is a rust color.

Sorry I can't help you with this one. Beyond my knowledge.

But here is a bump, hopefully someone may know.

wilson111

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
the coolant can be discolored from adding the wrong type of coolant.. but when my 06 did this it had a busted egr cooler, but iam sure that 90% of the 6.0 owners have experienced this. when the dealer replaced the cooler it would do good for a while, then the same thing. i think doing the head gasket job is their last result, i didn't keep mine long enough to experience this. i had enough when the truck was down 3 out of 5 months. but i always felt like the head gaskets were the problem.

4x4grey88

Nascar Fan #88
Reaction score
the coolant can be discolored from adding the wrong type of coolant.. but when my 06 did this it had a busted egr cooler, but iam sure that 90% of the 6.0 owners have experienced this. when the dealer replaced the cooler it would do good for a while, then the same thing. i think doing the head gasket job is their last result, i didn't keep mine long enough to experience this. i had enough when the truck was down 3 out of 5 months. but i always felt like the head gaskets were the problem.

From what I have read the coolers on the 03 (the round ones) are the better ones (instead of the square ones) and if I had a leak I would see liquid inside the EGR housing. I removed, and replaced the EGR and looked inside there but found no liquid. Now I am not saying that it is not a cooler issue, I am just going on what I have read. I can't see any 'white smoke' when I drive it nor am I loosing liquid through the engine. The degas bottle was replaced because I found it cracked, and I thought it was the problem, but I still have coolant pushing the 16 psi cap.

If I have a leak in the cooler would it not show in the exhaust or have black colored coolant.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
castellscl