Question 6.0 wont start!

sss521

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
6.0 wont start. acting like batteries are dead. tested batteries and both have 12.5 volts. I checked the voltage both connected and then disconnected. both read 12.5. I am charging the batteries now and should be on the road again but I don't understand how they could read 12.5 each and only show 12.5 when connected. Please help. Thanks, Erik

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
The batteries are connected in parallel on our trucks. This keeps the voltage the same but doubles the amps for starting. If they are connected in series, the voltage would be doubled and the amps would stay the same as if one battery was connected. Clean the battery cables. What does it show running? Good Luck in this cold.

Dave :)

Dogman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The other thing is these truck motors have to spin at a high RPM for the HPOP to get enough oil psi for the motor to fire off. So check your starter too. It could be that it's not moving fast enough to get the psi up.

snicklas

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Also,

How cold is it there when you are having this issue? When it got below the teens Fahrenheit, with 15W-40 conventional engine oil in the crank case. It was just too thick to allow the engine to turn over without the block heater. Switched to Chevron Delo 5W-40 synthetic oil. That helped with cold starting. Not saying this is your issue, but something to keep in mind.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
I switched from 15W-40 to 5W-40 9 years ago and it helps a lot. I run it year round.

Dave :coffee

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I switched from 15W-40 to 5W-40 9 years ago and it helps a lot. I run it year round.

Dave :coffee

Me too..;tu

21* here this AM. 111* last August. Good year 'round lubrication.

Joe

Yalz call but if it's guna be below 28* over night, and I need to go somewhere in the AM.. I plug mine in ? (for 2 hours, on a timer)

Last edited:

snicklas

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I run the 5W-40 Synthetic year around also. Really helps with the Stiction issues. I am @ ~142.000 on factory injectors so I do have a bit of Stiction issues on 15W-40 dino. My truck also "tells" me when it needs an oil change, even with the synthetic. I get a bit of a cold startup miss, until the heads get warm when the oil is getting close to 5,000 miles. New dose of synthetic, and within a couple of days, its back to normal....

Joe - For me, here in the winter, when it is below 30, if my diesels are sitting outside, they are plugged in. At home, my electric bill is high, so I don't even notice the block heater being plugged in. At work, I have access to an outlet in the open air parking garage that I park in, so I plug them in there.... When, at home, I have a large family, and may have to leave at any time, so it's just easier to plug it in. At work, i like having heat quickly, and I want to make sure I get to go home. I've not had an issue with either one starting, but still..... good glow plugs, and synthetic in both crankcases (Yes the Jetta likes the synthetic also) but, guaranteed starting, and having heat (With the Jetta, and now with the EGR Cooler delete on the truck) I get on the interstate within 5-10 minutes of start-up, and at highway speeds, with the temps under 20-25 degrees, and no type of winter front, I have warm, not heat, just warm for the drive home. Before the EGR Delete I would get to operating temp just like in the summer, and when I would lay in the throttle, you could feel the air get warmer, but now, nope. I have driven home, which is almost 30 miles, most of that is 55+ speed limits, stopped at the gas station by my house, and the high idle will kick up because the computer doesn't think the engine is warm enough yet. It will warm up enough idling to kick off the high idle, but start moving again, and the temp gauge falls, on both of them actually.....

I've seen there are a lot of members that have a timer (make sure it can handle the load, I would look for 15 Amps to be safe) and have it come on 2-3 hours before they normally leave for work, and turn off, 3-4 hours after they normally leave. That way if they are running late, the block heater is still on.

My personal feeling is, it is easier on everything, including the block, to plug it in warm, and keep it warm, rather than letting it get cold, and have an uneven heating in the block as it comes up to temp. That is what caused the old 6.9L "A-Blocks" to crack when the block heater was used. Plus, the heater doesn't "have to work as hard" to maintain the coolant temp at the ~100 degrees it maintains, rather than bring up 20 degree coolant to ~100 degrees........ I even used this trick to keep the EGR Cooler supply hose leak (This is why the EGR Delete was done) from leaking for a couple of weeks before I got it fixed.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hear ya 100% Scott.

This subject gets bantered around here every year. So Here Goes:

Use The Block Heater In Cold Temps. That what it's there for.

Home Depot/Lowes and the like have plug-in 20amp timers, use a 12ga. (10 is better) cord (short as possible), on a little used (dedicated is better) circuit.

5w40 oil, good strong clean batteries, 2+ hours of pre-heat= Most all winter starting issues will Not happen..... or go away~ That's my think'n and .03's worth.

Joe

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58