6.0L - issues, solution, and cost

NDsuperduty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have been looking into getting a 6.0L diesel, but my buddies that have diesels(all chevy and dodge guys) all keep telling me to avoid the 6.0L. I would take there advice but there are alot more used superduty's for sale around me than anything else. What problems does this specific drivetrain have, what are the solutions to these problems and how much do the solutions cost normally.

BTW, the diesel will basically be a daily driven street queen if that makes a difference.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
Welcome to Super Duty Diesel Ramroids. First off let me say that all truck makers have their own problems, and Ford isn't alone in this boat. I have a '04 6.0 and I have had no problems with it. The '03 models were the first year of the 6.0 engine and they have/had more problems. Many of the problems were the lack of training for the Ford Techs. International (the engine maker) had a few problems that are cured now. Get any truck newer than '04 and you should have a great truck. RUN THE VIN THROUGH FORD's SERVICE COMPUTERS (at your local dealer) FOR AN OASIS REPORT. This will show all of the history that FORD has on the truck (only by Ford). Good Luck...

Dave :)

RoyBoy

Diesel Dork
Reaction score
I'd recommend finding at least a later 2004, the 6.0 was changed quite a bit and many of the really bad ones were '03's and early '04's (mines an early :D ) If you are looking for a newer truck, the 06- 07's were really good IMO. Otherwise if you are still scared of the 6.0, go for an '03 with the 7.3, they were really good.
And like Dave said DO get an oasis on whatever truck you buy... :sweet

NDsuperduty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
one of the trucks I am seriously looking at is an 05 with 48K miles. Can I just call a ford dealership or will I have to go there. If this truck has had some of the issues, shouldnt they be fixed since the truck would have been serviced for the problems if it shows up on the oasis report?

pete37922

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i have a 06 and the only prob i had wuz my egr valve got gunked up and ive been told cuz i wuz babyin my truck, otherwise great truck !!!

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
I don't know about calling, you can try it. Oasis will show all work performed by Ford whether it is service or warranty work. '05 should be great trucks and have no problems other than maybe an individual item.

Dave

MBRPCrazyford

Eat Some Smoke
Reaction score
The 05 is a great truck. Like Dave said, there should be no problems with it. Good luck, and keep us posted.

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
one of the trucks I am seriously looking at is an 05 with 48K miles. Can I just call a ford dealership or will I have to go there. If this truck has had some of the issues, shouldnt they be fixed since the truck would have been serviced for the problems if it shows up on the oasis report?

you would HOPE...but thats not always how it works...problems are
misdiagnosed (or may not have a solution at all)...the bulks of
todays DEALER mechanics are not taught good trouble shooting skills...
they plug in a computer, read a code, and replace the associated part...
this RIP & REPLACE mentality is a weak repair strategy and lends itself
to repeat visits for the same issue.

fact of the matter is youll read stories of trucks having turbos (as an
example) replaced 3, 4, 5 times....anyone w/ even the smallest amount
of common sense would eventually get a clue that its PROBABLY not
the turbo thats causing the problem.

and fwiw TRUST NO DEALERSHIP OR SALES REP...id ask 'em for the
oasis report...and at the same time id go run the report myself !

TexasExcursion

GOD Bless America!
Reaction score
Keep in mind that your buddies are Chevy and Dodge guys, and what they'll remember about a Ford is the one guy in a hundred who got a bad truck in the early 03 or 04 range. 05 and 06 models may be 1 in 1000 bad ones--you get the point. But don't let them scare you. I bet if you did just a bit of digging in a Chevy or Dodge forum you'd find the same flavor of problems.

I've got a 03 Excursion with the 6.0 and I've had my share of problems, but BUshPilot changed my thinking. The main issue is the Ford techs not knowing how to properly diagnose (emphasis on properly) a problem. All problems aside, there's no way I'd give up my truck--it's an absolutely great vehicle.

Good luck in your search and welcome to SDD.

NDsuperduty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the help guys. I have narrowed my search down to 2 trucks, an 03 dodge 2500 4x4, and an 05 f350 4x4. I am leaning toward the dodge at the moment, mainly because I can get it for $10K less than the ford. But the dodge owner is being a dumb ass, so I may get the ford instead.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
castellscl