6.0L - issues, solution, and cost

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
a TWO year older truck should be CHEAPER...not to mention
the fact that its a 3/4 ton vs 1 ton...are you really comparing
apples to apples ? same type cab ? trannie ? mileage ? CONDITION ?

NDsuperduty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
a TWO year older truck should be CHEAPER...not to mention
the fact that its a 3/4 ton vs 1 ton...are you really comparing
apples to apples ? same type cab ? trannie ? mileage ? CONDITION ?

They are both 4x4, 4 door, automatics, with cloth interior and all power inside. the dodge has 30K more miles, but like you stated it 2 years older. The guy selling the dodge is a customer of mine and only wants what he owes on it, which is $16K, and the ford is at a dealer and will cost me about $27K plus the extra interest on my loan. I like the ford a little more than the dodge, but thats a big difference in payments for not a whole lot of difference in truck.

tony4380

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
from the research ive done before i bought my f250... the ford has a much better interior than the dodge. the 5.9l 6cyl is a great engine but doesnt have that great of a transmission behind it. the 350 will be able to move anything you put behind it.... and the turbo sounds better.

Ford Nut

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
6.0-no no

good luck with your 6.0 and service. mine has 56000 miles and has a new trans-38000, egr 55000, now has been in dealership for over 3 weeks-head gaskets blown and they called today to tell me i owe $1500 for oil pump-screen-and injectors. they say the high pressure screen is clogged from dirt!!! B>S> truck is street driven and oil is changed early with ams oil and filter. just another way to get out of warranty.P.S, i had to pay for trans too.I am a long time ford guy but my 91 dodge has 351000 and goes every day. ford service in my area is horrible.i think cummins is the way to go if you want long term reliable service--no wonder ford stock is tanking!!!!!!

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
wow ! i have simular miles and no problems...have you had
oil sample/tests that you could prove there was no dirt in the oil ?

i see that youve got a tuner...but no mention of gauges...other than
the tires and tuner (and level kit) our trucks are the same...

im running a coolant filter...and ive recently seen lots of stories
about busted egr coolers because the oil coolers are plugged up...
possibling increasing the heat in the egr cooler...wonder if this is
your problem too ?

a coolant filter will get all that sand (or as some would claim,
factory added stop leak) in the coolant...and might prevent the
oil cooler from being plugged up...but again its just GUESSING
at this point since no one can put their finger on WHAT is
plugging the oil coolers.

in my mind it certainly cant HURT to get that sand or stop leak
outta the system and a coolant filter is CHEAP compared to some
of the cost that youre experiancing.

Scot

;()
Reaction score
Ford Nut; As I was driving today I stomped on it as I usually do and - as usual I was amazed at the (STOCK!!!) 7000 pound truck's acceleration. I will never understand why people who use their SD as a daily driver get chips and tuners??? If you want reliability? the best way is leave it stock. If you want your warranty? the best way to keep it - remain stock. If you ad mods to push beyond what the engineers intended? Don't cry when they won't back the repairs. I would say Ford not fixing altered truck's under warranty would be GOOD for the stock!?!?!?!?!? :sorry for the off topic rant

Ramroids; congrats on the new ride. be good to her and odds are she will be trouble free. Since you got the 05, you should be past the 03-04 issues. I had an 03, 65+ days in the shop over 2 years, motor pulled twice, blah blah blah. Currently I drive a 06 w/ 40+ K and no issues.

Maxtor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ford Nut; As I was driving today I stomped on it as I usually do and - as usual I was amazed at the (STOCK!!!) 7000 pound truck's acceleration. I will never understand why people who use their SD as a daily driver get chips and tuners??? If you want reliability? the best way is leave it stock. If you want your warranty? the best way to keep it - remain stock. If you ad mods to push beyond what the engineers intended? Don't cry when they won't back the repairs. I would say Ford not fixing altered truck's under warranty would be GOOD for the stock!?!?!?!?!? :sorry for the off topic rant

Ramroids; congrats on the new ride. be good to her and odds are she will be trouble free. Since you got the 05, you should be past the 03-04 issues. I had an 03, 65+ days in the shop over 2 years, motor pulled twice, blah blah blah. Currently I drive a 06 w/ 40+ K and no issues.
Hey Scot;

You must be an old guy like me. Although if I am still alive when our truck is out of warranty, I am going to put in an 50 hp. tune for towing up hills. They say 50 hp increase will not hurt the truck.

Kleetus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
32k on mine and the only problem I have is a dead limited joke, er slip rear end... otherwise, runs great.

Congrats as well on the new ride! Do yourself a favor and get a hold of Blackstone labs or the like and get an oil sample analysis taken on your first oil change, which, I'd probably do right away if you're not really sure when it was changed last. At least that way they can give you an idea of what's going on metalugically in the motor. Cheap piece of mind, and you have a baseline for your engine.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
castellscl