6.0L - issues, solution, and cost

Scot

;()
Reaction score
Hey Scot;

You must be an old guy like me. Although if I am still alive when our truck is out of warranty, I am going to put in an 50 hp. tune for towing up hills. They say 50 hp increase will not hurt the truck.

Not even 40 yet Max. I just need my truck to work every day. A week of down time in the summer months would cost me 5-10K. And it's not work I can make up later. If I can't do it then? - someone else will. During breakdown time, renting a full size P/U w/ a hitch is just about impossible. I could almost understand a tuner in CA, but Michigan is pretty flat.

Are you thinking about the Banks Bullet???

Just don't break any important parts on yourself! the knees are pretty easy compared to the ticker & you should be around as long as your warranty.

Last edited:

Ford Nut

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
i do need to put real guages on.the truck is not worked hard or off roaded,only pull a 21 foot boat on weekends.running ams oil and changing it and filter before ams oil even says to change filter only.just got truck back from stealership, along with head gaskets they put an egr cooler as well.i was wondering about it cooking some oil and clogging high pressure oil pump screen? Im an old guy too 49 but still like kickin a little butt!

Rabenfels

Reaction score
where is the diesel savings?

the 6.0 was to bring about average 18 MPG - I don't get anywhere close to 15 MPG on the interstate at constant speed below 2000rpm and no air. Talking about "babying". City and mountains I'm down to 12-13. All these MPG are for an empty truck. It's the 350, 6.0, long bed, crew cab, duallies, 4.10 and the gadgets FORD offered as a "must have". Had turbo replaced at 13,000 miles, have now just turned over 20,000. At start-up, after a minute idle, get nice amount of black smoke when accelerating. The lousy mileage started when FORD did the "flash recalibration" - on mine in Jan.2006. Can we do better with MPG changing intake air filter situation? What's best to install? I am even thinking of going Dodge - after +30 true FORD years!Thanks for feedback.

Maxtor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not even 40 yet Max. I just need my truck to work every day. A week of down time in the summer months would cost me 5-10K. And it's not work I can make up later. If I can't do it then? - someone else will. During breakdown time, renting a full size P/U w/ a hitch is just about impossible. I could almost understand a tuner in CA, but Michigan is pretty flat.

Are you thinking about the Banks Bullet???

Just don't break any important parts on yourself! the knees are pretty easy compared to the ticker & you should be around as long as your warranty.
Hey Scott;

It is going to be a while before our warranty is out, because we only have 7,995 miles on her as of tonight (16 months). We plan a 10,000 mile trip next year, so even if we add another 15,000 miles on to the current mileage, we still will be under 25,000 miles by year two of our ownership. At that rate, the five years will be here before we get 100,000 miles on her. So, I have no idea on what the best tuner, or chip will be in April 2011. What ever is the best then, is what we plan to get.
It also depends on if we have any trouble with our truck. Example,,, if we blow a head gasket while under warranty, I will have them put the head studs in along with the 450 hp head gaskets. If that happens, then when the warranty runs out, I will go beyond the 50 hp increase. If we do not have any problems, then when the warranty runs out, we will only increase the hp by 50. So far so good. No problems, and great fuel mileage. We are still averaging 18.5 with a high of 21 mpg empty. We averaged 13.1 pulling the RV.
Again, I think the 3.73 gears, single rear wheels, standard size tires, and manual transmission, plus grandpa like driving, all contribute to the fuel mileage.
As for broken parts, after getting my other hip replaced in September, I hope to be finished with the surgeons.
As you get older, it seems like this is what it is like to keep one step ahead of the grim reaper. :rich

Nasty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the 6.0 was to bring about average 18 MPG - I don't get anywhere close to 15 MPG on the interstate at constant speed below 2000rpm and no air. Talking about "babying". City and mountains I'm down to 12-13. All these MPG are for an empty truck. It's the 350, 6.0, long bed, crew cab, duallies, 4.10 and the gadgets FORD offered as a "must have". Had turbo replaced at 13,000 miles, have now just turned over 20,000. At start-up, after a minute idle, get nice amount of black smoke when accelerating. The lousy mileage started when FORD did the "flash recalibration" - on mine in Jan.2006. Can we do better with MPG changing intake air filter situation? What's best to install? I am even thinking of going Dodge - after +30 true FORD years!Thanks for feedback.

PM me...I have a Dodge I'd like to sell you!:) They have a pretty good engine but that's the only positive I can say about it...drives like a "truck" ;rides like a "truck"..very marginally better fuel economy and doesn't carry the load the Ford will...as in a 1000lbs difference.
My 04 gets approx 17 average on an 800 mile round trip loaded for half, empty for half. I have tried BushPilots suggestion as in "driving it like I stole it" and find I get a bit better economy by running at about 2150>2200 than at 2000 rpm. Seems I found it's sweet spot. Thx BP!
PS: my negatives with the 6.0 have been with techs also. I've had good and bad but most situations were taken care of in the end...just took a little politicing sometimes. :doh:
Enjoy your new truck FordNut!
Be well

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
castellscl