6.4 PowerStroke cold weather starting procedure/recommendations

CHPMustang

Reaction score
I am still in shock with that video. As far as I know there are zero 2008 Superdutys in Prudhoe Bay. There are hundreds of 2006 and older ones but the 2008 failed. The particulate exhaust filter plugged up after a short time. Why would Ford show a video about how great there trucks are up here when in reality they failed. I am a die-hard Ford fan and own six Ford vehicles but this video really disturbs me. I am going to send Ford a email and see if I get a response. I am in Prudhoe Bay three times a week and have not seen a 2008 since last winter when they were testing them.
I'd like to hear what kind of brown paper bag reply you'll get Kev -popcorn :thanks

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
I'd like to hear what kind of brown paper bag reply you'll get Kev -popcorn :thanks

Yeah talk about a canned response that completely dodged the question:

Thank you for contacting the Ford Motor Company Customer Relationship Center regarding the ability of our 2008 Super Duty F-Series line-up to perform well under extreme cold weather conditions.

In an effort to assist you, we have researched available information for the 2008 Super Duty F-Series line-up. Our resources indicate that by subjecting the Super Duty to Prudhoe Bay's unforgiving climate, Ford engineers could make sure the trucks perform well in just about any situation. Just the metal and moving parts alone in the trucks undergo extreme stress from the cold. When not in use, the trucks are left running on idle, meaning the engines never get a break. Since extreme cold weather provides the greatest challenge for diesel engines, the new PowerStroke diesel engines are put to the ultimate test.

If you seek to further verify the above information, please visit us at:

Media.Ford.com: NORTH SLOPE TOUGH: BP PUTS STAMP OF APPROVAL ON 2008 SUPER DUTY

If you have any other inquiries, please feel free to contact us and we will be happy to address them for you.

Sincerely,
Mike
Customer Relationship Center
Ford Motor Company

So we tried again :D

You did not answer my question! It is my understanding that after the test was complete it was decided that the 2008 PowerStroke cannot be idled for extended periods of time therefore they are NOT being used in Prudhoe Bay. Is this correct or did you come up with a solution to the cold weather operation problems?

We will see what he has to say now. I am going to go over to Veco the Ford warranty shop in Prudhoe Bay and see what they have to say. This is false advertising at its finest and I am disgusted.

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
There are no details at this time reflecting available information regarding the results of the said test. The Customer Relationship Center is unaware in advance of such information. This type of information is considered confidential until the appropriate media statement is released.

Sincerely,
Mike
Customer Relationship Center
Ford Motor Company

I will let you know what they say at Veco. I am getting the idea that Ford does not want to talk about it.

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
I will let you know what they say at Veco. I am getting the idea that Ford does not want to talk about it.

Well I didn't stop by Veco this trip. It was -30 with a breeze :crumm and after torching the landing gear on two trailers to get them down/up and farting around with a frozen fuel nozzle I just wanted to get the heck out of town. I will try and stop by there on Friday or Sunday and see what they say.

HTRDDSL

HTRDDSL
Reaction score
I know in Edmonton it never gets that cold but mine started in -23 C(forgot to plug it in) the other day with no problems. Interesting about the video. I saw the video but never heard about the aftermath. I think Ford is gonna have to do something about these DPF filters. Not only are they $3600 Canadian to replace, they are getting replaced often. My exhaust has been black since 800 miles. I now have over 6000 on it. Truck runs great so I'm really reluctant to bring it in to have it checked.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58