Help Needed 6 spd swap?

bigrigr

Real trks hv 3 pdls
Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm new to this whole forum thing but I thought I'd give it a try. I've got a 2000 f350 srw with a 5 spd manual that is noisy in 5th gear only. sounds like a loose idler gear or bad bearing. fluids full with the ford fluid, but speckled with metal flake. trucks got 91,000 miles on it and I just recently aquired it. Anyone run into a similar problem or know the prob cause, or am I just looking at a overhaul? Also any tech on a 6spd swap would be helpful as It would be nice to have one more gear at hwy speeds. thanks in advance from the noob.:watchout

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm new to this whole forum thing but I thought I'd give it a try. I've got a 2000 f350 srw with a 5 spd manual that is noisy in 5th gear only. sounds like a loose idler gear or bad bearing. fluids full with the ford fluid, but speckled with metal flake. trucks got 91,000 miles on it and I just recently aquired it. Anyone run into a similar problem or know the prob cause, or am I just looking at a overhaul? Also any tech on a 6spd swap would be helpful as It would be nice to have one more gear at hwy speeds. thanks in advance from the noob.:watchout

A >5< speed ? In a >2K< ? :watchout

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Jay.... You say you "Recently Aquired" this 2K... have you ever pulled the shifter All The Way Left.. and Back ????

You might (prolly) have a 6 spd.. but didn't/don't know it ???

Not trying to be a Wize Azz here but it would be Easy to NOT Know.. with something New.. to you.

But which ever tranny it is.. with grit in the fluid, and a growl, it sounds like it's time for a Re-build. IMO

Joe

bigrigr

Real trks hv 3 pdls
Reaction score
Boy do I feel stupid, never used Granny low before. Havent put more than 2000 miles on this truck since I bought it. Guess I learned a lesson today: dont act like you know when you really dont. thanks Big Joe, O2 stroker. looks like its overhaul time!

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58