6spd leaking

copracr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I plugged a HPOP leak and now my manual trans is leaking. I'm having trouble locating it though because I think my turbo is leaking too. It looks to me like my trans leak is coming from the shifter area, but I've never seen a trans leak there (I never noticed a manual trans with a pump either though). I am noticing some oil around the shifter in the cab too. It seems to want to leak down about 1 qt and then stop leaking...wierd.

Is there a gasket or seal I need to replace by the shifter? or should I be looking for a front seal leak?

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
Engine oil is not used in the 6 spd tranny. You are seeing engine oil from your turbo running down onto the tranny. Check it out.

Dave

copracr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Engine oil is not used in the 6 spd tranny. You are seeing engine oil from your turbo running down onto the tranny. Check it out.

Dave

Right, sorry, i guess i wasn't clear. THe trans is definetly leaking because i'm topping it off monthly now. the oil on the trans could be motor oil but it looks like grimy atf to me.

What i'm really wondering though is if the trans could be leaking from the shifter area?

Last edited:

Frankenstien

Frankestien
Reaction score
There is a rubber boot that breaks down after time. The boot covers the shifter area. the second most plausible point for a leak is the front seal. The boot covers the shifter and is held in with the plate that holds the shifter in place.

copracr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is a rubber boot that breaks down after time. The boot covers the shifter area. the second most plausible point for a leak is the front seal. The boot covers the shifter and is held in with the plate that holds the shifter in place.

OK, I'm putting a clutch in soon so i'll snatch a front input seal and inspect this shifter setup. Are there any other seals i ought to replace while I have it out?

Frankenstien

Frankestien
Reaction score
Look close around the case for cracks, and check the seam for leakage. Cracks usually happen from foreign debris from the road, but extremely rare.

copracr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can i just pull these 3 bolts and find the seal under the shield thing? How do i check the input shaft bearings and replace the seal?

BTW, this was one dirty tranny! I've been scrubbing and scraping layers of crap off this thing. It looks like a different case now that it's clean. Now i have to clean the back of the motor. Anyone see a problem with sealing up the hole that drains the valley onto my clutch?

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
Those three bolts may also hold the input shaft/gear in the tranny, so be careful not to remove the input shaft or all of the bearings inside the input shaft will fall out. My guess is there was a plastic/rubber plug in the hole.

Dave

hawkdriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Unless I am clueless about something I would for sure plug the hole. I lost an $800 clutch to fuel leaking down the valley into the hole and ruining it. I am getting ready to put another one it and when I pull the tranny it is getting plugged. I assume it is just a vent but why in the world would you put it there??????

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14