7.3 coolant

zudnik

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
A friend has told me that there is an additive i need to put in my coolant to help keep it from corroding the inside of the radiator. is this true or is there a special coolant i should be using for diesels?:dunno

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A friend has told me that there is an additive i need to put in my coolant to help keep it from corroding the inside of the radiator. is this true or is there a special coolant i should be using for diesels?:dunno

:dunno I switched from the Green.. to Gold coolant (with a Total Flush) about 100K miles ago. Ford approved the switch for the 7.3's so i went for it.

No issues, No additives. :dunno

Joe

dpantazis

Reaction score
big joe-

respectfully, ford didn;t 'approve' the switch, navistar switched its fleet engines to gold coolant and 7.3 drivers followed. remember, they ALSO equipt their engines with coolant filters!

iirc, the early 6.0's had green, then midyear they switched them to gold coolant.

remember, ford and navistar has been trying to prove who can pee higher on the tree.

in the end though, the important thing is to keep up on your coolant maintenance regardless of color.

dennis

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
big joe-

respectfully, ford didn;t 'approve' the switch, navistar switched its fleet engines to gold coolant and 7.3 drivers followed. remember, they ALSO equipt their engines with coolant filters!

iirc, the early 6.0's had green, then midyear they switched them to gold coolant.

remember, ford and navistar has been trying to prove who can pee higher on the tree.

in the end though, the important thing is to keep up on your coolant maintenance regardless of color.

dennis

Ya, seems I remember all that Ford/IH "Filibustering", back in the day Dennis.

All I really remember is: My Ford Service Writer said they had [authorization] to switch to the Gold, on the 7.3's.. if the Customer wanted to..so I did, when I put the Coolant Filter on.

Coolant Maintenance Is.. the key.. test it 2-3 times a year.. add a little, when I change out the filter yearly.. Life Is Good.

zudnik

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
whats the dif between green and gold? also is it best to use straight coolant then add water, sounds like it may be in my best interest to add a coolant filter inline?

dpantazis

Reaction score
they are SCA, supplemental coolant additives. the additive is to prevent cavitation (think boiling) around the cylinder jackets.

you get test strips from diesel service centers or truck stops. they come in 4 packs and bottles. you only need 4 a year.

you do this with green coolant for sure. i am not sure about the gold one.

zudnik

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
the cavitation is what my friend mentioned. still a bit green to diesel engines,any one else heard of this? :confused:

dpantazis

Reaction score
this is well known and a real issue.

the walls if the cylinder liners are relatively thin compared to those of a solid engine.

the shock wave due to the ignition of the fuel will initiate literal boiling point in the coolant microscopically at rough spots on the liners in the coolant bath. the additives help reduce this.

this applies to many diesels, not just powerstrokes.

zudnik

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I know there is a truck shop in this area that sells an additive and the test strips, do you still use normal automotive coolant tho?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58