Help Needed 7.3 Ddied and will not start

dpantazis

Reaction score
do not use ether! it can mess things up bad.

get your buddies code reader and see what it says.

your glow plug error probably has something to do with its hard starting.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well i just drove it for about 10min down the interstate and then i was getting off the interstate on my way home and it died on me again and wouldnt start so i had to do the either again and it fired right up and i made it home. but the noise from the turbo is getting worse.

Well.. so much for My idea. :sorry

do not use ether! it can mess things up bad.

get your buddies code reader and see what it says.

your glow plug error probably has something to do with its hard starting.

I think dp's idea is next too. Get it scanned.. to get some specifics.. to trouble shoot.

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
and the "noise from the turbo" has all the signs of something that sucks as well...

CashvillePSD615

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
so i went out to start the truck tis morning and it struggled to start but it fired up and shot out a huge cloud of white smoke and the turbo sounded god aweful. could it just be the turbo or is it something else along with the turbo. also whenever i was out of town a few weeks ago i had a guy do my turbo and pedistal o-rings and i got back home and drove it for a day and it stated pouring oil. so i pulled the turbo and the idiot had used hardware store o-rings and put gasket sealer between the turbo and pedistal. so all of the gasket sealer melted. so i am pretty sure that is what has screwed everything. could it have clogged up my hpop or lpop. if so is there a way of cleaning it out or something.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
Your HPOP is probably OK as it started and your truck (no year or model) needs High Pressure Oil to fire the injectors. Fill out your signature so we know what you drive. Go to the Quick Links above in the 2nd BLUE LINE and click on "Edit Signature" and fill it out. This will help us better help you.

Dave :)

CashvillePSD615

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Could it be the injectors since it is now blowing white smoke or could it be the turbo messed up not letting it get enough air or something. I need to figure out something soon cause its my only vehicle and i am now having to get a ride to the train station every morning just to get to work and it is a PITA.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
It is not the turbo causing your non-start, as enough air can get past the turbo to allow your motor to start. Start looking at fuel and fuel filters. Your easiest route is to get it scanned by a mechanic and NOT a parts house. Auto Zone, and others, claim they can scan your car; but not our trucks.

Dave

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
Could it be the injectors since it is now blowing white smoke or could it be the turbo messed up not letting it get enough air or something. I need to figure out something soon cause its my only vehicle and i am now having to get a ride to the train station every morning just to get to work and it is a PITA.

Oh I bet I know what it is..
http://www.superdutydiesel.com/forums/911-diesel-down/23955-missing-no-power-6.html
pick this up on Page 6, post 58.
I'm walking you through voltage drop testing your glow plug circuit..
I'm betting the glow plug relay took a dump-a-roonie

I don't care if it's 80* out.. a 7.3 WILL NOT START cold if the glow plugs are inoperative..

Last edited:

dpantazis

Reaction score
when you say that the turbo is making awful noises at startup, what do you mean? if the truck is sitting there idling, the turbo may spin a little but its not spinning. are you sure its the turbo that is making the noise and not a frozen idler pulley at the front of the engine?

reading your description about the turbo pedastal orings, are you sure that the oil passages are clear? that the turbo is not starved for oil.

what is the result on the hard starts?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58