7.3 Horsepower numbers (modified truck)

black_cloud_stroker00

GO BIG RED!!!
Reaction score
Just curious to see what any modified (99-03) 7.3's have done on the dyno...

Mine did 292 and 648, you can see the video in my sig.

I was extremly disappointed, it seemed lower that it should have. But that was before I knew about the overboost code and it defueling the motor. Now I have a boost fooler and Methanol, plus a couple other mods. I can't wait till the next time I get on a dyno.

Last edited:

platinum01

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about the low numbers on the dyno. Hope things will be better on the next run. Curious as to what my numbers will be when I hit the dyno. Hopefully at the Nationals.

godofdew11

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i guess i always am fairly conservative, but for a basic chip intake exhaust truck(like mine and yours) those are about the numbers i expected, i haven't been throwing any boost codes, on my boost gauge i am hitting right at 25, which is were the waste gate is set on stock turbo from factory i believe... i have never had my truck on a dyno so very possible im all wrong
throw in a TN-BB, and a spearco,
some big oil and a reg-return
some stage 2s
that oughta get you some of those big numbers

keanoknick

Big Stroker
Reaction score
I don't think you did very bad at all. At they dyno events I have been to
most of the 7.3 simillarly equipped to yours made less than that. If you
want a whole lot more power, you're gonna need some bigger sticks, and
big oil:sly maybe a different turbo or some combination of those

keanoknick

Big Stroker
Reaction score
I don't claim to know very much about the 7.3's but, man I really don't think you'll be able to hit the mid 300's without big oil, maybe low 300's. I've just
seen it where the hpop can't keep up with demand at the higher rpm's, resulting
in trucks not making near their potential HP.

I do wish you all the luck in the world at hitting mid 300's. That's where I'm at (353.5 to be exact plust mines a 6.0) and it's great, of course I want to
get into the mid 400's eventually. But it is so darn expensive

Zookie400

I WANNA GO FAST
Reaction score
dont go to the dyno with big dreams. everybody goes there with magazine horsepower numbers in thier head, and cry when they see whats actually going to the wheels. the other thing you want to keep in mind is that some mods wont get you a higher peak, but will drastically increas the area under the entire curve. that is more important than the peak, because when you are pulling, driving, or racing your rpms are never sitting right at the peak, they are all over.

Reaction score
Pat,

Also, keep in mind you are turning 35s on that beast. That is definitely going to affect your dyno numbers some.
All and all, I would say those are pretty decent numbers considering all you have in it, IMO.

Got Diesel

Engineering College Boy
Reaction score
Ok you don't need Big Oil to get to mid 300's. All you need is bigger injectors, some stage two single shots will get you to mid 300, with tuning on a stock turbo.

Luke made over 500 horse on Stage 3 Hybrids, Hybrid H2E, and fuel system, with Wildman tuning. That was with a single HPOP.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14