7.3 milege dropping

bonfire

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Won't the bigger tire decrease fuel economy??? Seems logical to me anyway

big315 said:
I have gone to a bigger tire, 2857516, looks great. I was getting 17 before. I have 135,000+ miles on it, and I need all the low cost options I can get my hands on. Football season is here and I am going to see my son play. When his high school takes a road trip, usually it is at least 3+ hours.

bonestroker

stroke it if you got it
Reaction score
I don't want to alarm you but my milage droped and thats when I spun the cam bearings out the motor sounded fine nutill i got to the dearlship my oil press gage laid over on its side but the motor was still running got in and pluged it in and # 7 injector was not working the wire came unpluged changed out the sending unit and the same thing no psi that was on friday had to wait till monday forthe teck to come in and the first thing he said was broken crank I told him noway told them to tear it down and find the prob got it out took the oil pan off and they saw the cam bearrings out and it got the crank bearing too. All this was 44,000 miles over my warranty.

Kelly Hancock

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
My X is stock and I am getting 14.5 - 15 even when pulling the boat. I had it chipped with a hypertech last year but took it off. I wasn't sure it was the right one for it. Now I wished I had kept it because the best I saw was 18 on a long trip.

CHPMustang

Reaction score
Kelly said:
My X is stock and I am getting 14.5 - 15 even when pulling the boat. I had it chipped with a hypertech last year but took it off. I wasn't sure it was the right one for it. Now I wished I had kept it because the best I saw was 18 on a long trip.
We could keep an eye out for a pre-owned SCMT 1700 or 05 for you there Kelly :)

Bill

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One other suggestion for you to look at that just occoured to me is to check ball joints and the unit bearing hubs on the front end. A buddy of mine had noticed that his mileage was going down and immediately after replacing the balljoints that he was avoiding and the unit bearing on that side the mileage went back up to where it had been ever since he got the truck.

big315

Big315
Reaction score
Just an update. Just changed my fule filter today. I had some trash in the housing. I used some cleaner to drain the sil**** (sp) and we will see what happens. I have had some folks tell me on a 44 gallon tank, I should put 1 gallon on good gas in it. I was told that it would damage the fuel injectors. Oh well, what do you experts think?

John

big315

Big315
Reaction score
Yes, It seems that back in the day, folks would put 1 gallon of gasoline in 20-30 gallons of diesel to keep the injectors clean. I have been told that it could damage the engine? I have no clue.

big315

Big315
Reaction score
I took another step. I went and had the stock muffler removed, and filled the hole with a straight pipe. I love the sound and look forward to seeing if that helps the milage.

HCAbowman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I use a quart of Marvel about every 4500 miles or so, keeps the fuel system clean and cleans the injectors also....Ive seen guys use that too!! Just a thought from a "gasser" :thumbs :thumbs

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58