7.3 runs bad no power

dpantazis

Reaction score
the codes that are on the truck are p1316,p1212,and p1247. Any idea what i need to do now.

the codes are in the WIKI article. you have to read/find on the page to find the info.

you can also use the search function here on sdd to see what other's experiences are on those codes and their fixes.

you can try dieselman's pages for more info. sometimes its a bit tough getting around, but he knows his stuff.

PowerStroke diagnosis

ridndirty

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
My truck had the same symptoms a couple weeks ago. Went through the whole fuel system, even did the Hutch mod, still wouldnt run. Bit the bullet and pulled the valve covers, (wasnt that bad) and the problem was easy to see. The plug retainers on the wire harness get weak, living in hot oil all the time, and just quit doing their job. Plugged the harness back together, made some wedges to hold everything together, and the truck runs like new again.;tu

ridndirty

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Almost the same, but I found my problem at around 10:30 pm, and didnt want to wait till the next day to see if anybody had any in stock, so I made mine.

whitecc250

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
RArmer, I may have missed someone else suggesting it, but make sure that when you turn the key on (without cranking) that you hear the fuel pump come on. It is located under the driver floorboard on frame. It should come on and run a few seconds before shutting off if engine is not started. If not, check the fuse, relay, and/or connection at pump. Very possible that pump has quit. Sounds exactly like a problem that I had a year ago. It will run without it, but not very well. Replaced pump and back in business.

RArmer

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
RArmer, I may have missed someone else suggesting it, but make sure that when you turn the key on (without cranking) that you hear the fuel pump come on. It is located under the driver floorboard on frame. It should come on and run a few seconds before shutting off if engine is not started. If not, check the fuse, relay, and/or connection at pump. Very possible that pump has quit. Sounds exactly like a problem that I had a year ago. It will run without it, but not very well. Replaced pump and back in business.

I checked the feul pump because I never have been able to here my pump (I guess I got one that has whisper mode) and was hoping it would be that simple. I'm not that lucky,it has over 50lbs of pressure at the filter bowl. Does any body know what the pressure should be?

dpantazis

Reaction score
how are you reading pressure? off the schreader valve off the back?

50 might be ok for stock pressure. check the wiki on shimming the fuel regulator. i think the ranges are in there.

RArmer

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
problem solved

As usual the board was corect again. The uvc wre both loose and the truck is back up and running. Thank you for all your help and knoledge. It was surprisingly easy to repair. Once again thank you to all that helped.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14