Help Needed 7.3 wont start

ranson3

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I appreciate the advice. It just seems so wierd to me...Keep in mind it doesn't seem like a GP problem only because it's just not cranking at all. Turn the key and just, well, nothing at all. When the engine does turn over it fires right up.

I'll check the GP's just to be sure.

Thanks

Last edited:

DR.Diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No crank.

Ill agree with the trans range sensor.put the vehicle in neutral and see if it cranks,try wiggling in while in the crank position.when it wont crank get a test light on the starter solinoid crank signal wire and see if it lights up while trying to crank it.this will help isolate the area to chase .

ghoff

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Ill agree with the trans range sensor.put the vehicle in neutral and see if it cranks,try wiggling in while in the crank position.when it wont crank get a test light on the starter solinoid crank signal wire and see if it lights up while trying to crank it.this will help isolate the area to chase .

Good advice, one step further would be to put the test light on the starter terminal side of the solenoid (big post) to see if 12v is getting to the starter during the no-start condition.

Bad Night

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Keep in mind new 6 mos. ago doesn't mean good . A friend's v-10 was doing the same thing , he kept telling me................... " man the starter isn't that old . " Tested everything and it turned out his couple month old starter was bad . When bench tested it would work if you placed it upside down or tapped it with a hammer .

iracemine

black and tan
Reaction score
yeah. where did you get this starter, check with the test light to see if its getting power when ignition. if so.... you bought a faulty starter.

it does happen.

ranson3

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I am starting to think you guys are right and I bought a bad starter. I can jump the starter with a screwdriver and it turns over fine, but the more I think about it I believe my problem started when I replaced the starter. It was much warmer then so I probably didn't notice it as much then seeing as how I only have this problem when it's cold outside. Thanks for the help!

ranson3

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
'Boots,
well, it just doesn't crank. Only when it's cold outside or parked all night. Usually in the morning it's a crap shoot if my truck will turn over. Turn to the "on" position with the key, everything lights up and I can hear the GP's. Turn to start position and nothing. If I hold it in the start pos, usually it will crank after about a 4 or 5 second delay. Then it fires right up with a good strong engine crank.

bears4x4

grease monkey
Reaction score
just my thoughts buts doesn't sound like a bad solenoid on the starter, my old chevy had this problem( a slight-to long delay when turning the key to finally cranking the motor over) but i dont know if there is something else that could cause this on our sd's

iracemine

black and tan
Reaction score
just my thoughts buts doesn't sound like a bad solenoid on the starter, my old chevy had this problem( a slight-to long delay when turning the key to finally cranking the motor over) but i dont know if there is something else that could cause this on our sd's

yup. thats what were all thinking. waiting to see what his local parts guys have to say.....

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58