7.3L getting poor gas milage

Buffs F-350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You also have a short bed (very small tank only 28gal) so it may seem to go trough fuel fast. It may take a couple of tanks to figure out the proper mpg.

dmd

Reaction score
Ya gotta do the tank and pre-pump mods, they are the best. Then get some X-car under dash sound deadening panels. Truck will be much more quiet.

Then add a valve for the heater core and the AC will be even cooler.

Then tie the hoses away from the boost tubes that are wearing holes
in the tubes... (or tie them to the tubes so they dont rub).

Then replace the radiator hose that goes through the belt (what a
poor design). get a dual alt top rad hose.

Then replace the coolant with the red stuff

Then add a micro-fine trans filter

Then replace the trans cooler with a V10 cooler

Then............

orion_134

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I heard you can swap in a tank from a larger (ex or long bed) to get more miles to the tank?
Thanks,
Jesse

dmd

Reaction score
I heard you can swap in a tank from a larger (ex or long bed) to get more miles to the tank?
Thanks,
Jesse

POON it!!

Drop the tank and cut the breather to about 1/2 inch. Can fill it to within 1/2gal of the top. Can get more than 4gal in the tank from where it used to click off. While in there get rid of that air suckin mixing valve....

JimmyDee

God Bless America
Reaction score
POON it!!

Drop the tank and cut the breather to about 1/2 inch. Can fill it to within 1/2gal of the top. Can get more than 4gal in the tank from where it used to click off. While in there get rid of that air suckin mixing valve....
Actually you can still get that much in the tank without "Pooning" it. It just takes a lot longer. I agree with this poster, do the "Hutch" mods as well.
Jim

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What dmd & JimmyDee said and.... While yer at it, take a 1&5/8" hole saw an cut out the restricter thingy at the fuel cap. THEN.. you can fill'r up Real fast and ALL the way... even at the "Big Truck" pumps.

nc1500

MyFirstPS444
Reaction score
Seems about right to me

My 00 4x4 gets about that not towing, around 17 combined. My worst was 9 towing a 27 foot trailer through hill country. My best was 34 with the cruise control set at 45. At 55 I average 23+. As has been stated many times, a lot depends on how heavy your right foot is and if you can keep the speeds down. That is your cheapest mileage upgrade. Other than that I've read of over 26 with programer and exhaust upgrades, nothing wild. I plan on doing many months of research before I spend a dime on a single upgrade.

A few other things that abosolutely need upgrading are the trans cooler, zoodad mod and Hutchins mod. A 6.0 intercooler should also be on the short list. And watch your injectors, they like to go bad at the wrong times.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58