96 F350 Died on highway

KansasDiesel

fly'n low on WVO
Reaction score
Last week I left for work, got 2 blocks away took off on the highway and the truck hesitated then died.

The 2 hour wait for the tow truck, I got my computer connected (autoenginuity ford enhanced) and it gave me a CPS fault, I got one that day after getting it towed home.

Today I got time to install the new CPS. cleared the code and the truck still won't start. no codes coming up. I checked my battery voltage and it was right at 10 volts when cranking over. Jumped from my other car and voltage when cranking was 10.5 volts.

I am new with the AutoEngunity software is there another check that can tell me what might be wrong?

I have good fuel pressure, the injector buzz test said Good, even though one injector sounds week.

Help I need to get this going again. See my sig for my mods....

KansasDiesel

fly'n low on WVO
Reaction score
Both batteries were replaced 2 years ago.

The voltage is 12.4 just sitting, around 11.2 with the GP on, and when cranking it went down to 10 .

There is a min. voltage that will not allow the engine to start from the PCM I think it was 10.2 but not sure. That is why I was jumping the truck with the other car, and I should have had plent of voltage while jumping, but she still won't start.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
It isn't a min voltage, but rather a min RPM at cranking and I don't know the number. If it does not crank fast enough, it won't fire.

Dave

KansasDiesel

fly'n low on WVO
Reaction score
She is turning as normal.
I have the batteries charging I will try them with a fresh charge.

I remember a couple of years ago when I had a hard start problem that a Ford mechanic said that the computer won't start the PSD if the voltage was too low, even if it was cranking good. That was the problem in my case then, I replaced the batteries and it was fine.

What is throwing me off right now is that the other day it ran then died on the Hwy, the CPS code came up, so I figure that's the problem, got that changed today and it just won't fire. I will see after the batteries charge if it still won't start.

KansasDiesel

fly'n low on WVO
Reaction score
Still Dead???? Any Help???

I was moved off of the 911 truck down forum I guess the others are more important issues..

Any help here that I haven't thought of?

twildman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are the rpms registering while your crankin?

Also, pull the chip out and see if it will start then, make sure the keys are out of the ignition before you pull the chip.

Last edited:

johndeerebones

GOT PMS?
Reaction score
After all this cranking is it possible you starved out the hpop resevoir? Sounds like you need to check your hpop pressure. If you have laptop software it should give you an ICP reading you can convert to psi. If you can make 500 psi hpop it will start if you are getting fuel and voltage to your injectors. If they passed the buzz test that means the pcm can get voltage to them and you said you have fuel, so has to be hpop system as long as the cps is good so the pcm knows when to fire them. Don't overlook the wiring to your ipr valve, I've been there. Remeber KISS keep it simple stupid, had one eat my lunch at work the other day cause customer crossed up the 5 and 3 plug wires on a 4.3 chevy. Stupid thing is thats the first thing I checked, just lost the wires in the wire loom I guess:oops:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58