96 F350 Died on highway

82FordTruck

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I'm going to change what I told you earlier. I thought the injectors needed 2000 psi, and they need 500. The pressure built quickly enough to 500 - we were only cranking it after all.

JOAT

I Found Nemo!
Reaction score
twildman said:
The reason I ask about the veggie oil, is it has been known to mess with the injectors after awhile. ...

From what I've seen that seems to be more a coking related on trucks that are run full time veggie or blends, and should be a gradual degradation as the tips clog, IMHO. KD has about half the veggie miles I do and I'm pretty sure he shuts down and warms up on #2.

Could be polymerization of the oil related, if there was excessive veggie getting past the rings. But since it seems to be building high pressure, that hopefully is not an issue.

82FordTruck

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
JOAT said:
From what I've seen that seems to be more a coking related on trucks that are run full time veggie or blends, and should be a gradual degradation as the tips clog, IMHO. KD has about half the veggie miles I do and I'm pretty sure he shuts down and warms up on #2.

Could be polymerization of the oil related, if there was excessive veggie getting past the rings. But since it seems to be building high pressure, that hopefully is not an issue.

Further, as long as he has enough pressure to fire the other injectors, it wouln't matter if one was on the fritz, would it? It would just run like crap. There was no smoke, nor could I even smell exhaust while we were trying to do this.

Does the buzz thest test the injectors - or determine if the computer is trying to fire them? He said he did that, but I'm not sure what that means.

As far as the battery issue mentioned earlier - he has older batteries, and may wnt to replace them anyway, but we got a pretty good size set of jumper cables and jumped it off my pickup for a while. It helped the cranking speed a bit - but still no smoke or even a hint of trying to fire.

His tach is moving - is there any way it could still be the CPS? Could something hve been damaged by a failed CPS, or could something have been hit or pulled loose while changing it?

Doesn't the fact that he got his high pressure oil to 2500 PSI eliminate injector, IPR and HPOP concerns? Meaning that there's no reason to get in the valve cover, this is all external?

Some of these are probably stupid questions - I'm not a PS guy - just sold an IDI, know a lot more about them.

johndeerebones

GOT PMS?
Reaction score
Buzz test checks that the solenoids are working and the computer is trying to fire them. If one sounds different, it could either have goofed up poppet clearance or a weak solenoid, but I think they are usually good or not. Check AC voltage at the valve cover connectors and make sure they are getting at least 100 volts...depends on which idm he has. if they arent you may have idm issues. Whats you fuel pressure while cranking?

twildman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
but still no smoke or even a hint of trying to fire

Concentrate on a fuel issue. If he is spinning the truck fast enough, and the oil pressure is building and he has no smoke in the least, fuel isn't getting to the cylinders.

Try this, unplug the glow plug relay so that the glow plugs wont light. Use a short quick shot of ether and see if it will fire.

82FordTruck

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
KD and I are both in agreement with you. We can try that tonight - but I'm sure it'll fire. The question is - where from there? If he has fuel pressure, the injectors work, the HPOP is working - what else can make it not start?

I don't remember what the fuel pressure was - maybe he can chime in here, but I remember seeing it at 20 psi, while it was not in the on position. Part of his veggie system has a guage on it, so that one's real easy to check.

How do you diagnose an IDM?

JOAT

I Found Nemo!
Reaction score
82FordTruck said:
Further, as long as he has enough pressure to fire the other injectors, it wouln't matter if one was on the fritz, would it? It would just run like crap. There was no smoke, nor could I even smell exhaust while we were trying to do this.

Does the buzz thest test the injectors - or determine if the computer is trying to fire them? He said he did that, but I'm not sure what that means.

If one is bleeding off all the oil pressure it would affect the whole system, but appears this is not the case

Buzz tells you the IDM is firing the injectors during the test. Doesn't mean they are firing while cranking tho. Use a voltmeter

82FordTruck said:
His tach is moving - is there any way it could still be the CPS? Could something hve been damaged by a failed CPS, or could something have been hit or pulled loose while changing it?

Sure, it could be signalling late, tho thats not real common. If you have another to try it wouldn't hurt.

82FordTruck said:
Doesn't the fact that he got his high pressure oil to 2500 PSI eliminate injector, IPR and HPOP concerns? Meaning that there's no reason to get in the valve cover, this is all external?

Pretty much, at this point. Only advantage to pulling the covers now is to check the wiring. And to make sure the poppet screw is tight on the weak sounding one. From the outside, check the wiring at the valve cover gasket terminals. Center is solenoid ground. Each side of that is to an injector. Resistance injector to ground, don't remember but all should be pretty much the same. Outer terminals are glow plug, should be more then one ohm to ground (forget exact). Should not show shorted glow plug terminal to injector terminal!

twildman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just for S and G's somewhere after the fuel pump remove the fuel line and see how much fuel he is pumping.

action4478

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This may be a stupid question but, is the check engine light on when you turn on the key?

KansasDiesel

fly'n low on WVO
Reaction score
WOW Thanks guys I haven't had a chance to get back here since 82fordtruck and I were messing with it last night.

I am unfamilure with my AutoEnginuity program but I think I had the right sensors to check last night while cranking.

I filter my oil well, I always use #2 and heat the engine up to normal temp with the 203* thermo and always shut down with #2.

My buzz test had one injector a little week IMO so I will pull it and check that for coking.

Normal FP is 45 psi and that is what we were getting last night. I have removed a return line from the heads and I had ALOT of flow when tested for fuel through the heads.

Tony, I will try the ether when 82ford comes by tonight. And see if it fires.

CEL only comes on when I crank it too long, then I check the codes and fill the HPOP again.

But the CEL has been off whenever I try it.

I better get out there with my meter and start checking wiring and that ac voltage as JOAT suggested

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14