97 fuel filter housing help please

Tx_Atty

Master Baiter
Reaction score
wow that screen had to be totally plugged. I removed a TON of what looked like black paper fibers.

Only one question left - is it ok now that the heating element has been removed to leave the plug on the outside of the canister connected or do I need to unplug it?

Thanks again. This site sure comes to the rescue whenever it is needed.

smokin joe

Smokin.....
Reaction score
BE CAREFULL When trying to remove the plastic tube in the middle with the crows foot wrench. I just did mine ! I replaced my fuel heater and got some GOOD advice from the Ford Truck garage here. The tube in the middle will have BACKWARDS THREADS on it. So go the oposite way when removing it or you will break the tube. When I asked the mechanic why they did such a STUPID thing he said "So guys like you who want to repair at home will end up bringing it to the garage to get it worked on". He was right!! It has backwards threads. SO....tighen to loosen (if that makes sense). Just for your info he also said that using anything BUT Motorcraft fuel filters will wreck the heater. They are a slight bit longer and ARE NOT suppose to rest on the heater and wreck the wire like it did on yours and mine.
Good Luck !

Last edited:

roosterdiesel

Earl needs B100
Reaction score
Tx_Atty said:
wow that screen had to be totally plugged. I removed a TON of what looked like black paper fibers.

Only one question left - is it ok now that the heating element has been removed to leave the plug on the outside of the canister connected or do I need to unplug it?

Thanks again. This site sure comes to the rescue whenever it is needed.

Sounds like you had some fun this weekend! What's the wifey say about the smell of diesel in the garage?:D

I'm also interested in your mileage gain.:sweet

smokin joe

Smokin.....
Reaction score
smokin joe said:
BE CAREFULL When trying to remove the plastic tube in the middle with the crows foot wrench. I just did mine ! I replaced my fuel heater and got some GOOD advice from the Ford Truck garage here. The tube in the middle will have BACKWARDS THREADS on it. So go the oposite way when removing it or you will break the tube. When I asked the mechanic why they did such a STUPID thing he said "So guys like you who want to repair at home will end up bringing it to the garage to get it worked on". He was right!! It has backwards threads. SO....tighen to loosen (if that makes sense). Just for your info he also said that using anything BUT Motorcraft fuel filters will wreck the heater. They are a slight bit longer and ARE NOT suppose to rest on the heater and wreck the wire like it did on yours and mine.
Good Luck !

I FORGOT TO TELL YOU THAT THE PLATSTIC TUBE HOLD IN THE HEATER ELEMENT/ FUEL FILTER HOLDER in. If you want the heater out you have to take that tube off. A new heater element (I think) ran me about $50.00
Good luck:sweet

Tx_Atty

Master Baiter
Reaction score
smokin joe said:
I FORGOT TO TELL YOU THAT THE PLATSTIC TUBE HOLD IN THE HEATER ELEMENT/ FUEL FILTER HOLDER in. If you want the heater out you have to take that tube off. A new heater element (I think) ran me about $50.00
Good luck:sweet

I got it all removed and reassembled. Thanks for all the input. I have simply left the heater out for now. I may try the SD heater mod at some point.

Rooster - she is only griping because I used her dishpan to catch the fuel I dumped! At least I didnt put it back under the kitchen sink. :D

Thanks.

Last edited:

smokin joe

Smokin.....
Reaction score
Tx_Atty said:
I got it all removed and reassembled. Thanks for all the input. I have simply left the heater out for now. I may try the SD heater mod at some point.

Rooster - she is only griping because I used her dishpan to catch the fuel I dumped! At least I didnt put it back under the kitchen sink. :D

Thanks.
NO.... Leave the plastic tube in there. Thats what holds you fuel filter.
Later Boss
:thumbs

Tx_Atty

Master Baiter
Reaction score
I put the tube back in after removing the heater. For a second I thought you had meant to leave it out but realized that wouldnt work. The pipe is there just minus the heater.

Has anyone here done the upgrade to the SD heater on an OBS? I read the description on thedwilsons.com and at the bottom he mentioned he had done a second with a cutting wheel on a dremel and a chisel. I was thinking it might be easier to be exact with a grinding wheel on a dremel. That should reduce the risk of over cutting and damaging the bowl.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14