99 7.3 tow ratings

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
That means, simply put.. Your truck chassis (springs, axles, brakes and X ply tires, as originally delivered, from the factory) is RATED at, 9,900 pounds of weight capacity.. including the weight of the truck.

The number(s) you Really need to know is: The GCVW... Gross COMBINED Vehicle Weight... That would be: The combined weight of the truck and the trailer, hooked up and loaded with fuel, the Jeeps, your gear, you and any passengers... As compared to the GCVWR [Rating] of your '01 350.

Joe
fixed it..
9,000 lbs capacity is 4.5 tons, and that would put it in the range of a Freightliner FL60/80...

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
fixed it..
9,000 lbs capacity is 4.5 tons, and that would put it in the range of a Freightliner FL60/80...

Thanx JL :sorry guyz

I waz only on my second cup ;) I need to be carefull 'bout that.

My Post, as edited, is the Real Deal.

This whole GVW bidness is, and allwayz haz been :dizzy and hard to esplane.

The GVWR would be: The Combined weight of the truck And the weight of the load.. IN the truck.

Joe

Last edited:

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Vehicle weight rating acronyms, paraphrased ..

from a major trailoring related pub....But explained using the abbreviations, found on the data (door jamb) sticker on our trucks:

GCWR (Gross Combination Weight Rating): The total allowable weight of the tow vehicle, with trailer, the cargo in each, fluids and occupants.

GVWR (Gross Vehicle Weight Rating): The total allowable weight for the vehicle, including occupants, fluids, options, hitch hardware, cargo and trailer hitch weight,

GAWR (Gross Axle Weight Rating): The total allowable weight on an individual axle. This includes the weight of the tires, wheels, brakes and axle its self.

Maximum Tow Rating: The manufactures weight limit for towed loads. For conventional trailers, this normally includes a hitch-weight limit as well, for fifth-wheels, the pin weight is applied to the truck's GVWR and it's rear-axel GAWR

Last edited:

Stroked68

This is FORD Country
Reaction score
:hmm HUH??? Explain it again but slooooower. They should just have one raiting with all those combined cause thats how we haul with it loaded with fuel and passengers and loads and stuff.

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
:hmm HUH??? Explain it again but slooooower. They should just have one raiting with all those combined cause thats how we haul with it loaded with fuel and passengers and loads and stuff.

GCWR.. a semi loaded with freight rolling over a scale at a chicken coop
GVWR.. how much the semi itself weighs at the point the tires meet the pavement
GAWR.. how big a floor jack you need to lift it to change one axle's worth of tires at once

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you REALLY understand all of this??

Dave

Makes my brain tired.. but yes, I do Dave.

My truck has no GCVWR on the door sticker. Just the GVWR.

IIRC, your PSD is an X railroad truck.. right ? If it is, it may not have the Trailer Towing suspension package.. which could be the reason it doesn't have a GCWR :dunno

:lmao You needta read it once, take break.. read it again, take a nap.. then read each one and mul it around.. 'til it all makes some sorta sense.

It's a CYA Liability thing.

Last edited:

Stroked68

This is FORD Country
Reaction score
My brain is only capable of one thing at once. I will dwell over it for a lil bit but if im not back on in 5min i passed out. I think JL explained it just fine for me. This country boy will survive! :sweet

SD70M

SuperDuty
Reaction score
HERE is a page, with the 1999 towing comparisons.

As you will see, the 1999 F250 SRW has a maximum allowed *loaded* trailer weight of 13,100lbs.

The maximum allowed total weight of the truck and trailer combined, is 20,000lbs.

The maximum allowed weight of just the truck (With your fifth wheel attached) is 8,800lbs.

Speaking from experience here.... Weights will add up quick! I had a 1994 F350 CCLB and was towing a 11,500lb fifth wheel. The gross combined weight rating on the truck was 19,000lbs. I took the whole rig onto a CAT scale, when we were on our way to a camping weekend. I found out that, when fully loaded, we were at 19,020lbs. I had not overloaded any of the axles, but the maximum allowed combined weight had been exceeded. The 94 was sold and a dually will be arriving next week.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14