Help Needed 99 f350 flashing OD light

Bubba

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Pulling trailer with jeep grand Cherokee, after 100 miles od light began to flash, was running flat interstate 95 south in South Carolina, I was using cruise, probably shouldn't have. pulled off interstate shut down and waited about 20-30 minutes, restarted light off, back on road, within 7 miles flashing again. It seemed to shift fine, didn't notice any speedo, but could have been fluxing not sure. This AM used my Actron OBII Pocketscanner cp9125 to read codes, comes up no codes. Actron site says the scanner is CAN Complaint. Cranked truck not flashing after 20 minutes idle. My real question is, is this Actron scanner able to read the diesel codes? Heading out to drive and return trailer see what happens?
I had planned on trans fluid and filter next week before this happened as I have not done this since buying truck ( yeah stupid I know:dizzy)
I have searched forums and basicly I see where you need to check the codes, or your changing parts till ya change tranny. So I really need to know if my reader is ok for use here. Truck is used everyday, hauling trailers once in a while.
Thanks in advance you guy!

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score
I bought one of the Actron scanners a while back. Long story short, the only thing it's good for is leveling the kitchen table. On my truck it read MPH & RPM and that was about it. Actron scanners are not good for s**t on diesels.

The most common cause of a flashing O/D light is the speedo sensor in the rear diff pumpkin. When mine went, I got the flashing O/D light, ABS light, and intermittant speedometer. It's an esay fix. The part is fairly cheap, only about $15 when I did mine. I'd go and change it & see if it helps. If you do fix it, all the better. If not, it's one less thing the mechanic needs to check.

It only takes about 5 minutes to change once you figure out what size socket you need.

Last edited:

Bubba

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Thanks TG

Truck seemed to run fine when took trailer back, had OD off shifts seem fine. After dropping trailer I got on pedal and she seems to be running ok, no slipping I can feel ran her about 30-45 minutes no flashing light. Parked truck at 1600 and just when out to lock doors at 2330 (rough boonies) and heard something funny, Fan blower motor running, had to turn it to off. Cranked truck, ran for a few and shut her down, I can still turn fan motor on with key out, nothing else electrical that is not suppose to run with key off (radio, wipers, blinkers) come on. :dunno
Getting concerned as have a 4 hr trip to Charlotte NC Friday till Sunday. Concerned only because OD light was flashing first.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
That indicates a tranny problem and we all are only guessing. Take it to a good tranny shop and have them look at it. They will be able to scan it for trouble codes.

Dave

bigblak250

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
i had the same problems with my 00' i had the windshield replaced a while back and it didnt seal, leaked water into my fuse box under the dash and was keeping everything turned on like the key was on after a while, changed out the box and got the leak fixed and all was good

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
:dunno I vote for the VSS as a place to start, with blinking OD light.. on a 10 year old F-350.. that routinely pulls loads.

A 20 dollar part and a 20 minute R&R (most often a 10mm wrench).

Joe

banyon

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I agree with Dave. I`ve had this happen on more than one truck & it`s always been bad news on the trans.

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
That indicates a tranny problem and we all are only guessing. Take it to a good tranny shop and have them look at it. They will be able to scan it for trouble codes.

Dave

I agree with Dave.
You don't want to guess parts or throw money at it untill you know what parts to guess or where to throw your money.

Take it somewhere and have it looked at.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58