99 idle or wastegate ?

Rio_Grande

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
When I start up my 99 and it is cold the rpm's run around 1200 and I can hear what sounds like the waste gate open and then 20 or so seconds later close. Sounds like it is trying to make music...

Is that normal? This is the first winter I have owned this truck and my first powerstroke.

I also ran out and jumped into it the other day and it was about 30 deg. Started it up and put it into gear. It would not pull forward it was as iff the engine was not making enough power to pull forward buit the tranny was tryng the truck would only come up to about 1400 rpm and would not pull out. I sat there for about 1 minute and then it would rev up and pulled it out.

Strange.

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score
Rio_Grande said:
When I start up my 99 and it is cold the rpm's run around 1200 and I can hear what sounds like the waste gate open and then 20 or so seconds later close. Sounds like it is trying to make music...

Is that normal? This is the first winter I have owned this truck and my first powerstroke.

I also ran out and jumped into it the other day and it was about 30 deg. Started it up and put it into gear. It would not pull forward it was as iff the engine was not making enough power to pull forward buit the tranny was tryng the truck would only come up to about 1400 rpm and would not pull out. I sat there for about 1 minute and then it would rev up and pulled it out.

Strange.

Sounds like your Exhast Back Pressure Valve is closing as it is supposed to. It closes off the downpipe to help build heat faster to warm the engine up quicker. If it is closed, the noise coming out the tailpipe will sound like a jet engine.

But once you step on the go-pedal, the EBPV should open up. When you describe a total lack of power just after starting a cold engine, that sounds like classic EBPV being closed. The question is: why is it not opening when you press your right foot down? Is it a bad EBP sensor or a hole in the tube going from the rt side exhaust manifold up to the EBP sensor, is the tube plugged maybe or ???

fordtrucker4life!

I work with waste
Reaction score
There is carburated 350 chevy in a step van at work that will not drive untill you rev it up. Seems like the trans fluid is either low or cold and to thick to flow and drive right of the bat.

Rio_Grande

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
YA it definately sounds like a jet, then back to sounding like a diesel, then jet,,, you get the picture.

I am thinking it is normal. It could be the tranny fluid needing to heat up or maybee something is staying open,, as long as it won't leave me stranded or hurt the truck, I will just keep messing with it.

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score
I gotta stick with the EBPV.

I have a BD Exhaust brake. It replaced the EBPV on my truck. I can close it or open with a switch on the dash. With a cold truck, I can close the valve to speed the warmup. If I try to back out the driveway with the exhaust brake closed, I have no power, the truck doesn't want to move. But if I open the exhaust brake, the truck moves fine. So basically it sounds like I'm duplicating your symptoms to a "T".

Rio_Grande

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I paid more attention to it tonight. When you first start it weather it is sounding like a jet or not, It will not rev up when you push down on the pedel. it is as if it gets enough fuel to Idle but not enough to pull. I just put the pedel about 1/4 down and the rpm's suddenly jumped up and when they did the truck moved right away.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14