A Few Electrical issues

RSG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had similar symptoms a few years ago, and found a wire in the shift column behind the lock was shorting. Post #2 below reports it was the OD wire. The key symptom for these though is fuse #19 blows...so this may not help. But the GEM module is also on #19 iirc.
Here are some links from previous posters -- you'll have to cut & past into a window, sorry, but maybe worth the effort:

1) http://www.superdutydiesel.com/foru...amp-OD-button&highlight=steering+column+short
2) http://www.superdutydiesel.com/foru...Ford-F-250-SD&highlight=steering+column+short
3) http://www.superdutydiesel.com/foru...ule-Questions&highlight=steering+column+short

GunnyP

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Unreadable

Thank you so much for the effort in response, however I cannot read the JPEG as they are too small even when printed would you be able to Email them to me [email protected]. Come to find out that the GEM module in the vehicle was not the right one for the truck. I will replace today and update any status of change.

GunnyP

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Well I have replaced GEM and 4x4 works fine but still no keyless entry, speedometer or odometer. Also power locks do not work. I can hear a click under the dash but noting moves

GunnyP

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Ok update. No power to the vss in the rear or abs sensor in the front, still not sure. The OD wire has been cut so I removed from plug. Would this cause the problem? Power locks click under the dash but do not engage. Where should I look next. I found 2 fused links but they both look ok

GunnyP

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Ok so There is a new GEM module in a rear VSS in and no change. I have checked ground near the battery seems to be good. I cannot get an indication of power into the ABS system. I have replaced the shift lever with the OD light flashing. No ABS light but unsure if the bulb is not burnt out. Am I missing something? Could there be a chip or programmed code in the PCM or GEM that needs to be reset? Im no auto electrician or mechanic by far but this is driving me a little crazy, could there be a fuse missing where it should be? I bought this truck to fix up for a work horse.

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
Ok update. No power to the vss in the rear or abs sensor in the front, still not sure. The OD wire has been cut so I removed from plug. Would this cause the problem? Power locks click under the dash but do not engage. Where should I look next. I found 2 fused links but they both look ok

The VSS and ABS sensors are AC square wave generators. As the truck picks up speed, the voltage they produce increases.

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
Ok so There is a new GEM module in a rear VSS in and no change. I have checked ground near the battery seems to be good. I cannot get an indication of power into the ABS system. I have replaced the shift lever with the OD light flashing. No ABS light but unsure if the bulb is not burnt out. Am I missing something? Could there be a chip or programmed code in the PCM or GEM that needs to be reset? Im no auto electrician or mechanic by far but this is driving me a little crazy, could there be a fuse missing where it should be? I bought this truck to fix up for a work horse.

What do you have for tools? Test light? Voltmeter? Multimeter? Jumper wires? Backprobe pins?
I might send you shopping at Sears before we get much further here...

GunnyP

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Haha I have a test light, multimeter and jumper wires. I have changed ground to the abs and now have power going in. I did some reading to find out that the vss created its own voltage after I posted. Should there be power to the abs sensors? Today I will change the diff fluid and try a reset to the PCM. I have aftermaket lights so the could be causing interference. Also should I see power coming out of the abs module? If so which wires? Thanks for your reply

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
Haha I have a test light, multimeter and jumper wires. I have changed ground to the abs and now have power going in. I did some reading to find out that the vss created its own voltage after I posted. Should there be power to the abs sensors? Today I will change the diff fluid and try a reset to the PCM. I have aftermaket lights so the could be causing interference. Also should I see power coming out of the abs module? If so which wires? Thanks for your reply

No there should not be power to the abs sensor. It is a pick-up coil and it will generate a sine wave as the wheel inside the dif spins. The PCM will 'count' the number of wave cycles to determine the axle speed.

Dave

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
Yes.
Power inputs to the ABS controller are red/lt green wire from brake pedal switch,
tan/red from dash fuse 25
orange/yellow wire from the 60a ABS fuse in the junction box under the hood

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58