A rough few months, hoping things will be better

W4RLR

High Tech Hillbilly
Reaction score
Maybe some of you have noticed I have not been posting lately. It has been a rough few months.

The joys of living in Florida...even with the housing market dropping like a rock and my house being worth less than I owe, the final nail in the coffin was the nearly doubling of my homeowner's insurance. Bad news was I have to put my house up for a short sale.

Good news is that I found a person in similar straits who rented me their home that is twice as big as my old one, has three acres of woods, and deer that come to the back porch for breakfast.

Bad news is that my high speed cable connection doesn't come out this far.

Good news is that I am getting HughesNet business grade satellite internet.

Bad news is that I had to sell a lot of my accumulated stuff at a loss.

Good news is that I don't have a lot of junk that I no longer use.

Bad news was that the wife and I were at each other's throats constantly at the old house in a losing battle to keep it.

Good news is that my monthly housing costs are now stable and I don't have to shell out nearly $3K a year for homeowner's insurance. Too bad the renter's insurance doesn't cover theft. :dunno

Bad news is that my credit rating is in the toilet.

Good news is that the wife and I work on a cash basis, and the only credit cards we see now are the ones we take for Laura's dog grooming services.

All in all, there is more good than bad. I'm no longer a homeowner, but with my health issues, I like the idea of picking up the phone and having the landlord fix problems. My expenses are much lower. I'm happier. I live in a nicer home, my wife and I no longer fight, and I now live in a little piece of heaven instead of a little slice of hell. My neighbor down the street? Boo Weekley, the PGA golfer.

The best news? I still am the proud owner of a 2005 Ford F-250 Lariat Crew Cab, and Laura's company is still the proud owner of a 2004 Ford E-350 van conversion. And diesel is selling for $3.50 a gallon instead of $5.00.

When the satellite internet comes on line, I should be able to post more often. Right now I'm using an air card. Bill Kurtis is right, with an AT&T air card, the internet can't hide.:D

Last edited:

atk

Reaction score
good to hear from you. i was once told,"when you think you have reached the bottom of the barrel, there is always someone below you"....just have to keep plugging away and not give up....

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
dang that sucks. Rough times are no fun.

I can't believe that your insurance would be that much especially north of I-10. I'm within 15 miles of the atlantic and within 1/2 mile of the St Johns River and I'm paying slightly under 1500/yr.

so we get to add yet another to the recent movers on the board.

W4RLR

High Tech Hillbilly
Reaction score
dang that sucks. Rough times are no fun.

I can't believe that your insurance would be that much especially north of I-10. I'm within 15 miles of the atlantic and within 1/2 mile of the St Johns River and I'm paying slightly under 1500/yr.

so we get to add yet another to the recent movers on the board.

The insurance situation in Okaloosa County is unique.

The development lobby had, until last year, an exemption to the Florida Building Code, which means that my old house was constructed to the Southern Building Code. Less strict, and built to withstand 120 mph GUSTS. The Florida Building Code which is now in effect requires the building to withstand 120 mph SUSTAINED winds. So, there were only two insurance companies that would insure my house, St. Johns and Citizens. I was non-renewed by St. Johns, as they wished to reduce their exposure to risk in the Florida Panhandle. Citizens, the state insurer, wanted nearly $3K a year for a house 35 miles from the coast and 262 feet above sea level.

I have Citizens for renter's insurance now. No theft coverage, limited other coverages, and nearly $700 a year. But they are the ONLY company that will write me a policy.

I'm a native Floridian, but Alabama began to look VERY good to me in the last few months.

All things work out for the best. Even though my PERSONAL financial picture is a wreck, I sleep much better at night. My wife's company is thriving even in this economy (people treat their pets like their kids) so we will make it. At least working for my wife, I have a job.

To all...thanks for the kind words. They mean a lot.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58