AAAAAARGHHH!!!! OIL LEAK

JOAT

I Found Nemo!
Reaction score
Went out last night and noticed a puddle under the truck... The typical passenger side rear location for stuff from the valley. Engine oil too, and down about a quart. Valley was oily, so I cleaned it all off, plugged the valley drain, and drove it to work. 70 miles later, I have the makings of an oily lake starting in the Valley.

Looks like it's probably the HPOP gasket (always been a slooow leak there). Not the res gasket and I couldn't feel any oil on the IPR. Rail plugs and HP lines all dry.

Anyone have the IH part number for the HPOP gasket? All I have is Ford$ PN

dpantazis

Reaction score
don-
any luck yet?

local IH parts should be able to cross reference the ford part numbers. i have had luck in the past. they usually ask for the serial number of the engine to to make sure.

only other place i can think of is dieselmans page- but he had ford numbers only.

dennis

JOAT

I Found Nemo!
Reaction score
Picked it up at IH on the way home. $10 compared to Ford$ $20. They had a pile of them. Not even packaged.

Guess I'll have something to keep me busy for awhile :D

milner351

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Joat
Is that gasket swap just a matter of taking the top cover off the HPOP or do you have to take the whole thing apart?
Curious, because my '97 is "seaping" there, sounds about like what yours has been doing for a while...

JOAT

I Found Nemo!
Reaction score
I'll let you know, haven't had one off yet. ;)

The whole HPOP will have to come off the get to it. Guess I'll take some pics as I go. Mines going to be more fun 'cause the veggie valves and FPR are in the way....

JOAT

I Found Nemo!
Reaction score
NAME THAT PART...

Well, IH gave me the wrong gasket. Don't know if I got the 96 up one or if the IH is different. Got the right one now, closest was 2 1/2 hours round trip in Elk Grove.:(

Left is the one IH gave me. For those who know, is that the newer style???

JOAT

I Found Nemo!
Reaction score
Good Call:sweet

He shows two styles, neither of which are like the one IH gave me. Maybe they are different from Ford. I'll try exchanging the rubber one monday and see if they have the right one...

johndeerebones

GOT PMS?
Reaction score
I too just went and looked at his webshots to make sure I told you right and noticed the one you have is different also. Maybe they are different for the 99 up pumps? Or maybe they gave you a gasket for a 6 oh or something.

JOAT

I Found Nemo!
Reaction score
HPOP Removal

Thought I'd do a quick summary on the HPOP removal. Not really enough for a WIKI write-up, but just some generalization since my Veggie system would make my pics different than normal trucks.

EDIT: Wiki write-up is HERE

In order to get clearance for the HPOP removal, the Filter Housing must be removed, which also means the Turbo Y-Pipe must be removed. Also the High Pressure Oil Lines must be disconnected from the HPOP. Covering all openings as you go helps eliminate dirt from causing an unexpected surprise later.
View attachment 2628 ...click-able

The HPOP reservoir does not have to be removed, tho it's removal does allow you to visually confirm the gear is seated fully when it is bolted back onto the HPOP. I chose to confirm this by feel, as my reservoir seal was fine. Draining oil from the reservoir does allow for less mess, but I skipped this as the blown seal already made that a non issue.

On the front of the engine above the water pump is a small access plate. Remove it to take the HPOP gear bolt out. The 18mm bolt is torqued to 95 FT LBS, so you'll have to keep the engine from turning to break it and later torque it. Make sure you take the washer with it so it doesn't fall in the engine. Not sure how far it would go, and you don't want to find out.
View attachment 2629 ...click-able

There are 2 10mm bolts holding the HPOP on. The passenger side one is easy to see, but the other one (seen dimly in mirror) is between the IPR and the pump housing. It is best to remove the IPR solenoid to get to it.
View attachment 2636 View attachment 2635 ...click-able

The damaged seal is probably/hopefully the reason mine was leaking.
View attachment 2637 ...click-able

Reassembly, as they say, is the reverse of removal. Cleanliness is essential.

Some helpful info:
-The HPOP gear is a slip fit, so you can slide the HPOP through it pretty easy.
-Ford did not put a torque spec for the 2 HPOP bolts in my manual. Be careful tightening them, as they are small and thread into aluminum, so will strip pretty easy.
-Make sure the HPOP gear is fully seated, you can feel it slide back and stop by pushing on it, then tighten the bolt to 95 ft/lbs. The cover is sealed with the same grey RTV recommended for the pan.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58