Question ABS Light

doug young

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys> Its been a while, almost two years to be exact, sorry 'bout that. I had my ABS light come on yesterday. Along with my light coming on my speedo dosent work until i hit about 30mph and to top it off my overdrive light at the end on my shift selector arm is flashing. What is going on!!??? I did some looking around and found a rubber tube at the right front hubhad cracked and came loose of a little nipple it was attached to. I cut off the cracked portion and reattached the hose(im hoping that is the wheel sensor for the ABS at that wheel) The ABS fuse is also good. Not sure what to do. Is this part of the recall Ford just put out? Thanks in advanced.

Doug Young

'99 F250 4X4, Powerstroke, 155,000miles

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
Sounds like the speed sensor is shot. It is pretty cheap and easy. The speed sensor is located on top of the rear end. It has two wires coming from it. Get an new one from Ford for about $50.00 and replace it. What makes me think it is the speed sensor, and not a wheel sensor, is the speedometer isn't working properly. The OD that is flashing usually means a tranny problem, but you will have to get it scanned to know for sure.

Dave

NJKen

Is a proud new daddy
Reaction score
And if its not that it its most likely the wire going to it. I have had to replace a few of them lately for some reason.
Ken

ghoff

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Ditto, sounds like the vss on top of the rear diff. The tubing at the front hub is likely the vacuum line that locks the front hub when 4wd is engaged.

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score
Sounds like the speed sensor is shot. It is pretty cheap and easy. The speed sensor is located on top of the rear end. It has two wires coming from it. Get an new one from Ford for about $50.00 and replace it. What makes me think it is the speed sensor, and not a wheel sensor, is the speedometer isn't working properly. The OD that is flashing usually means a tranny problem, but you will have to get it scanned to know for sure.

Dave

x2

When I did mine, it only about $20ish and 10 minutes. You might be be able to get a sensor from one of the chain store parts places. But you would likely be more assured of getting a quality part from Ford.

Last spring I got 2 engine temp sensors from Advance that were both bad. I was going nuts looking for "other" causes until I tested the sensor with a thermometer, cup of hot water and an ohm meter.

Last edited:

doug young

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the help guys. The ABS problem has seemed to solve itself. Light went out and all systems are normal. And it wned on me later that the tube at the RF hub was for the automatic hub.....duh. Merry Christmas to you all.

Doug Young

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Doug,

The fact that it "Solved Itself", is a good thing... But... Yer VSS is 10 years old, with 155,00 miles on it, and the ABS light Did.. in-fact come on... for a spell.

The VSS is is "In The Loop" for allot of things, like Speedo, Shifting, Brakes, Cruise Control, and so on.

For it's nominal cost and 15 minutes of yer time ? I'd say: Replace It.

Yer Call though :dunno

Joe

Remember Murphys Law ?

Last edited:

Bad Night

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea it's not fixed , mine was doing the same thing , I could shut off the key while still rolling , coast a sec and fire it back up , all systems go for an hour , a day , or somtimes a week and then ........

Frankenstien

Frankestien
Reaction score
And just in case that was not it.........

Manufacturer : FEDERAL-MOGUL CORPORATION Mfr's Report Date : DEC 13, 2007

If you bought em at carquest or a parts chain that sells National brand parts you may want to call the number and check your part numbers.

I think the locking mechanism needs to be pulled and the serial number of the hubs checked to see if they need to be replaced or not.

NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number : 07E106000

FORD / EXCURSION 2000-2002
FORD / F250 SUPER DUTY 1999-2004
FORD / F350 SUPER DUTY 1999-2004
FORD / F450 SUPER DUTY 1999-2002
FORD / F550 SUPER DUTY 1999-2002

CERTAIN FEDERAL-MOGUL REPLACEMENT WHEEL HUB ASSEMBLIES WITH THE BRAND NAMES: NATIONAL, CARQUEST P/NOS. 515020, 515021, 515025, 515053, 515054, 515059, AND 515060, SHIPPED BETWEEN JANUARY 23, 2006, AND DECEMBER 20, 2007, SOLD FOR LIGHT DUTY AND MEDIUM DUTY TRUCKS. THE INBOARD RETENTION NUT USED TO MAINTAIN HUB BEARING ASSEMBLY CAN LOOSEN RESULTING IN AN ABS LIGHT INDICATION, NOISE, AND/OR WHEEL SEPARATION.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58