Adding Cab Clearance Lights

Tx_Atty

Master Baiter
Reaction score
a cool trick Tbar did was to wire the outside lights into his turn signals. No idea what it takes but I wish mine did that.

Metalhead

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, haha, I know what you mean. I've already been thinking it over for awhile, how I'm going to go about installing. On the other hand, I've been looking for a way to route my Sirius antenna up to the roof, without having a wire hanging out of the door seam. I'll just be routing that wire through one of the wiring holes for the clearance lights instead.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
Run the satellite radio wire through the third stop light and then onto the roof. I did that and it does NOT leak. Make sure you run the wire out of the BOTTOM of the third stop light gasket.

Dave

Reaction score
haha i have a factory ford sirius antenna for 2 years now that i was gonna mount when i did my lights. With the factory ford pigtail for the antenna.

Just noticed you were in round rock. THere's a place in san antonio that will drill and install cab clearance lights for 125 bucks.

Tx_Atty

Master Baiter
Reaction score
when I drilled my holes, I put a big glob of silicone on the screws to fill them in. Never leaked yet - knock wood.

AK Rover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure if it still is.. but the Cab & DOT lights under/on the tailgate was/is Required.. on 1 Ton.. and above trucks. DOT/ICC/NTSB stuff.

Joe

The three light ID set is required by DOT on all vehicles over 80" wide. So all dually trucks are required to have due to width. SRW 1 tons are not required to have the ID lights. That only applies to the rear of the vehicle. There is no requirement anywhere for the clearance lights or any specific arrangement which is why some semis do not have clearance lights and still pass DOT inspections. My last DOT inspection when I was driving truck the inspector only looked at the clearance lights to make sure they weren't falling off the truck.

Last edited:

Metalhead

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Run the satellite radio wire through the third stop light and then onto the roof. I did that and it does NOT leak. Make sure you run the wire out of the BOTTOM of the third stop light gasket.

Dave

That's a great idea! Since I'll have the headliner down, I'll run it out of the third stop light.

Reaction score
I bought the ford antenna cause i didn't want any wires running across my roof the wire drops down in the hole you drill.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarrburg