Additional Backup lights

ISurvivedNMU

Reaction score
I have a set of PIAA quad lights I was looking ot add to my truck as backup lights... I want them to come on with a switch manually, and also witht he backup lights automatically... Anyone have any experience doing this... Didi it work out well? :thanks

Max Power

Reaction score
In my opinion the best way to do this would be a relay an a spdt switch. on-off-on configuration.

In the center position the lights will be off under all circumstances, on one side they would be on when your back lights were on, on the other side they would be on when the switch is in that posistion.

I'll try to look up the ford wiring diagram and get back to you.

Dale_Lakin

Powerstroke Wannabe Owner
Reaction score
ISurvivedNMU said:
I have a set of PIAA quad lights I was looking ot add to my truck as backup lights... I want them to come on with a switch manually, and also witht he backup lights automatically... Anyone have any experience doing this... Didi it work out well? :thanks
My Explorer has them I didn't do it though I bought it that way. They come on when in reverse or I can manually turn them on with a switch.

Click here for a gallery of it

Can't see them very well but they are in the roofrack
rear1.jpg

triplethreat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've always thought about doing it but electrical wiring and I don't get along too well :( And the thought of running wires all the way too the cab seems like too much for me. They would be great seeing as to how the back window on the cab is tinted as is the back window of the cap makes it almost imposible to see at night(good thing i have reverse sensors :D )

Dan

Quadzilla

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I have backup lights frenched into my rear bumper, here. They come on when I'm in reverse, but I'd like to have the relay/switch so I can turn them on manually. When you're launching a boat in Puget Sound two hours before sunrise, the extra light would be nice.
I'll look forward to seeing the wiring diagram that's posted.

sagebel

Stock? Pfft!
Reaction score
When you do run the wires, DO NOT run power from the factory reverse circuit. You will burn up the stock wiring. If I get a chance, I will take a look at what I did. It's been a while. I am running the PIAA 4040 series in my Reunel bumper and they are like headlights.

Scott

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have mental plans to do the same, the on-off switch would be idea to get a moronic taligater off my bumper :D

Run power from your source of 12V power sources switched/constant would be your choice.

Run this through a relay triggered by factory reverse lights with rectifier diode between the relay and the tap in the reverse light circuit. Run a switch providing 12V small wire to the same trigger point on the relay.

The diode will prevent you from powering the stock reverse lights when you flip your switch. Yet will allow you to use the auxillary lights when not in reverse.

Attached is my pitiful attempt at a wiring diagram in paint.

Last edited:

wideopen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dale_Lakin said:

Dude I just looked at your Gallery..the Sploder is awsome...and what Articulation :thumbs

Where's the front Drive Shaft??? :rolleyes:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58