Help Needed Advice needed for the newly homeless

W4RLR

High Tech Hillbilly
Reaction score
My wife and I made an offer on a house in Tennessee, and the owners were gracious enough to allow us to occupy the house while the financing was worked out.

It didn't work out. With no hope of finding another lender who will finance the home, we have to vacate. Thankfully, we have the fiver to fall back on, but have a house full of furniture to deal with, as well as three vehicles - my truck, the wife's car, and our daughter's former car that I used to drive around in for local trips. We moved our residency to Tennessee as the state is disabled veteran friendly. It would cost us too much to go back and re-establish residency in Florida.

I would welcome any comments from any of you who may have taken the plunge for full-time RV living under similar circumstances, and would appreciate tips for handling mail, traveling with pets, and any other sage advice.

Fine69

Reaction score
Get a storage unit for the furniture and other items you don't need right now. Sell the car and live in the trailer until you find another house.

Dogman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ray
Check with some state and fed. parks. Like Cades Cove TN some have work camps and you can stay for little to know money. You just help keep the park clean and do other things. They like vets too, also check workcamp.com they have a list of camps that need help.

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score
TN may have a State Park Campground Host program like MI has.

You get to stay (camp) in the park for very little (if not for free) in exchange for providing light maintenace work (generally custodial duties in the bath/shower house) and host some hospitality gatherings (morning coffee).

I think some people do it for a month, others go all season.

I know that at one state park I go to frequently, the campsite for the host is the only one with full hook-ups. (water, electric & sewer)

Last edited:

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
Ray,

I did it for almost two years and it was an unexpected situation also, just get a PO box in or near where you plan to land permanently. Pets...find a pet friendly RV park and learn to live in a 250 sq ft 5th wheel with FIDO. Excess furniture, get a storage unit, its all a big PITA but when you find yourself in your situation you have to roll with the punches buddy.

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
we did it for long long time until we had the small rv place built here in tejas

we sold lots of stuff
put lots of stuff in storage
gave away stuff
bought a 7x14 cargo trailer that stayed close by with "stuff" we just couldn't seem to be without
eventually it came out here to

check corps of engineers parks, mil base rv parks for hosts positions, etc.

good luck, stay warm

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Ray,

Sorry to hear about your misfortune.. but you might try www.militarycampgronds.us ? Very good information and a place to start searching for the "How Too's".

Many Base's we've stayed at, have monthly rates and long term arrangements that can be made ?

Joe

WD40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No big deal on keeping your tags in TN. No state income tax and low insurance rates will help you along.
What part of the state are you in now? Lots of parks all over east TN and NC and north GA that will be
needing camp host real soon. Sorry to hear that the loan didn't go though, it's probably nothing you did,
it's just the way things are right now.
Will the owners carry the note for a year or two and by then maybe things will be better? Like a rent to
own, in two years the balance would be a lot less and maybe the loan would go though. Good luck man,
will say a prayer for you.
Doug

dpantazis

Reaction score
you can get stuff delivered to the local post office and they will hold it for up to 30 days if its sent to

RRay c/o
General Delivery
Luxs Gonna Turn, TN

good luck! hang in there!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58