Aftermarket fuel filter install: who's done it and other questions.

FTG-05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I want to install an auxiliary fuel filter in my 6.0. Since I already have an extra fuel filter mount, I plan to put this kit together myself vs. buying a kit from Dieselsite etc.

Anyone know of a writeup that's already been done? I specifically want to know where to intercept the fuel (i.e. cut the fuel lines), what size fuel lines I have on my '06 6.0 and whether or not I need one of the fuel line disconnector tools. Any other info would be great.

Thanks,

Al

CHPMustang

Reaction score
I want to say with confidence that the fuel line size going to the fuel pump is 5/16.

I mounted the Dahl 100 with Tbar's help right behind the transfer case.I have pics up somewhere in a recent thread.

The Dahl 100 kit from Dieselsite was the best way for us as it's one stop shopping with everything needed for our particular install.

FTG-05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks! I checked with a micorometer and confirmed that the 6.0 lines are 5/16".

What filter element do you have in your Dahl unit?

Thanks for the help.

Al

CHPMustang

Reaction score
Hey Al,I'm using the 2 micron unit filter in the Dahl 100 :sweet

http://www.dieselsite.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=38
dahlelement2.gif

FTG-05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And this 2 micron filter is located pre-pump? If so, do you use a vacuum gague to monitor filter performance or as aid to tell when it's starting to get clogged?

I'm planning dual 5 micron filters in parallel, but I'm a little worried about starving the pump with 5's.

CHPMustang

Reaction score
I have mine prepump. I wouldn't worry about starvation,I have the 2 micron and the fuel psi went up 3-4 psi at the OEM fuel filter.;tu

No vacuum gauge,I'm going to change the filter cartridge every 10k miles whether it needs it or not.

Thread with pics.

Fire1

Certified Diesel Driver
Reaction score
I'm also running a 2 micron Dahl 100 pre-pump. I monitor the pressure at the factory filter and change around 10,000 mile or if the pressure drops. No problems. Been doing it for 2 years now.

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm also running a 2 micron Dahl 100 pre-pump. I monitor the pressure at the factory filter and change around 10,000 mile or if the pressure drops. No problems. Been doing it for 2 years now.

i could see doing that in the 7.3L since theres only ONE fuel filter
(and as i understand it, not the best one out there).

but the 6.0 already is filtered TWICE

FTG-05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have mine prepump. I wouldn't worry about starvation,I have the 2 micron and the fuel psi went up 3-4 psi at the OEM fuel filter.;tu

No vacuum gauge,I'm going to change the filter cartridge every 10k miles whether it needs it or not.

Thread with pics.

Thanks! Where did you intercept the OEM fuel lines? I also take it that since yours is a 7.3, you removed the screen in the fuel tank or is that a bad assumption?

Bushpilot, two isn't enough for me. I plan to five total when I'm done.

Thanks,

Al

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58