Aftermarket fuel filter install: who's done it and other questions.

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i guess some are more paranoid than others...that or RICH and cant
figure out what else to spend their $ on ;)

FTG-05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Perhaps a little bit of both. Rich I'm not. But I've already have the mount (this mount will be on it's second or third vehicle), filters are $12 each at Fleetfilter, plus some a couple plumbing doohickey's, should cost less than you would think. The dual mount will go between the pump and tank. If Perma Cool doesn't send me the 1"-14 nipples as they promised, I'll have to buy a single mount for all of $20 (24770 from FF).

The other aftermarket fuel filter is already installed as part of my 90 gallon aux fuel tank, so that's a sunk cost. You already know about the OEM filters. That makes five total (four if PC doesn't come through).

Not trying to start a board war, but this might give you something to think about: heres why you want a pre-filter/water separator - The Diesel Garage Forums

Thanks,

Al

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
when and if i add an in-the-bed aux tank ill be filtering it
before it goes in to the tank or fuel system.

CHPMustang

Reaction score
I picked up the tank feed from the 5/16" hose coming from the tank then the filter output right to the pump.

The mesh screen on the pickup base is intact to prevent any large material from plugging up the fuel line.

I believe all you need is just the 2 micron for the job.

What are the OEM 6.0L fuel filters rated at micron wise?

FTG-05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I picked up the tank feed from the 5/16" hose coming from the tank then the filter output right to the pump.

The mesh screen on the pickup base is intact to prevent any large material from plugging up the fuel line.

I believe all you need is just the 2 micron for the job.

What are the OEM 6.0L fuel filters rated at micron wise?

I'm thinking of doing the same thing, although I don't think the 6.0 has the same vacuum leak problem the 7.3 has (yours is a 7.3, correct?).

The 6.0 has a 10 micron WS filter at the HFCM and a 4 micron filter on top of the engine.

CHPMustang

Reaction score
The fuel system from the tank to the engine should be the same but please correct me if not.Hutch mods should apply to everyone:D

The 10+4 micron filters should do you well but having the 2 micron polishing filter in front of the fuel pump is guaranteeing protection :cool:

Yep I have the 7.3L engine.

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
actually the in tank pick up on the 6.0L (at least mine)
are different and dont leak air like the 7.3's

Ive had mine out, when i harpoon'd it, and i had it out right
next to a guy who was doin' the hutch mod on his 7.3...they are
different.

CHPMustang

Reaction score
The locations that sucked air was the quick disco on top of the tank and at the fuel pump inlet quick disco.The only fix is 5/16 hose and worm gear clamps to replace the quick discos which pretty much takes care of the air in the line.

FTG-05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The locations that sucked air was the quick disco on top of the tank and at the fuel pump inlet quick disco.The only fix is 5/16 hose and worm gear clamps to replace the quick discos which pretty much takes care of the air in the line.

I looked tonight and I know the 6.0 has the QD's at the HFCM. Since I haven't seen the top of the tank, I assume it has one there also for the fuel feed.

Oh and uh oh: I drained my aux fuel tank filter tonight and got fuel that looks like #2 or #3 out of the aux fuel filter feeding the OEM tank (see link below). Fortunately, I got #1 out of the HFCM. Pics to follow as soon as my daughter gets home.

FDDTS - Diesel Fuel Only!

$25 worth of fuel filters no longer seem so expensive, no?

Stay tuned for my pics.

Al

ETA, ok here are pics of the fuel. The aux fuel tank filter drained fuel is on the left, HFCM drained fuel on the right. The only difference between the two pics is the first one has a shop light behind it.

ETA#2: The left fuel now looks exactly like the #3 sample on the DTS site. The color of the fuel is less orange and there is a definite dirt line at the bottom of the sample bottle.

Last edited:

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score

perhaps, but didnt the pickup/return induce air in the 7.3 tanks as well ?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14