Air bag use

WD40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know that I am late on this one, sure glad to see you got the air bags, because I went with the Timbrens on my F-350 and for just a little more I could of gotten the air bags.
My fifth wheel is about 28 to 3000 lb in the bed, and the air bags would just be so much better. Just wanted to add my 2 cents. Good Luck.
Doug

Dan Berkery

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Hi ... new guy on the block. "WD-40" sent me over here to talk to the experts. I want to add Firestone Riderites air bags to the rear axle of my truck. When I installed the Reese 20K 5'er hitch in my truck I used special plate brackets (apx 24" long, 5" high and 1/2" thick) that attached to truck's frame on each side. This "grew" the thickness of the truck's frame a 1/2" for the bracket plate plus another 1/2" for the thickness of the bolt heads holding the plate to the frame. I will post a picture if I can figure out how to do it. My concern is ... will the plates interfere with the installation of the airbags

Dan.

hawkdriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, after towing light loads and running empty I really am glad I installed these. Rides so much better and handles better too. I actually got to this point because somehow I had the u-bolts on the drivers side loosen up and I lost the very thick, short, bottom leaf on that side. Ford wants $273+ for a whole spring pack. I just needed the bottom leaf. I took the passenger side leaf out so it would ride normally. After searching for months in salvage yards across the southeast with no luck I figured I would go a different route. I looked at buying a lift for it but it would've cost me more than I wanted to spend. Airbags seemed the logical route to take.

I don't think you will have a major issue installing them over the plates for your hitch. You "may" need to go get longer bolts at Lowes, etc. I would use Grade 8. There should be enough adjustment available to make up for the thickness of the plates. If I get time tonight I will take a pic and post it up.

Now I have to save up for the controller. It's $100 more than the bags themselves!?!?

Dan Berkery

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Thanks "sagebel" and "hawkdriver" for your info. I will consider everything you both said. Also, any info on skipping the on-board compressor and using a cylinder of air or nitrogen instead. Further, should I connect both air bag inflation tubes together to a single air valve or leave them separate?

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I skipped the compressor option and have each air-bag with it's own valve. The option of being able to add air to level a load.. left to right, has been handy several times.

I drilled a hole in each lower bed fender, next to the pinch weld, near the rear bumper.

:dunno

Joe

sagebel

Stock? Pfft!
Reaction score
I've seen it set up both ways. Mine are set up connected together. Before I installed the in-cab controls I used my shop air compressor to inflate them through a schraeder valve that I installed in the rear bumper.

hawkdriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I have towed my 25' NauticStar (about 6500#'s) and my 14' enclosed trialer loaded with furniture for our college student. It handles soooooooo much better on the highway. What a huge difference. Even convinced a contractor friend to install some on his Duramax. He tows a 24' trailer with all his tools/equipment in it. Made a huge difference for him too. Should've done it years ago. Thanks again for all the advice.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58