Air filters and exhaust systems

dogtrk

Pat
Reaction score
Okay, I've gotten about 50 different viewpoints on these two subjects from local people so I'm not sure which way to go or what type/brand to get.

I did replace the paper air filter that came with the truck with a K&N filter. My question is should I go for the better model filter and along with that should I replace my exhaust/muffler system. I'm not towing and don't expect I will be but I do want to get as much mileage as I can plus keep that engine healthy and strong. Exhaust and muffler on the truck right now is stock.

I also plan on replacing the fuel filter and the transmission fluid. Had the tires balanced and aligned and did an oil change.

Any and all recommendations are welcome and don't forget-- I am NOT a good mechanic so layman's terms please..........:doh: Thanks in advance.

Pat

Tbar

SDD STAFF/Moderator
Reaction score
Intake and exhaust mods will affect your milage to a minor extent. If you plan to buy a chip or programer then I would say its a must. If not but you have some money burning a hole in your pocket I say go for it. The engine will breath easier.

Regarding the K&N you need to replace it. It is not a good filter for these trucks as it lets too much dirt get by it. Also, the stock air filter box lid is easily miss installed or damaged which allows dirt to bypass the filter and into the engine.

The Tymar and the AFE Stage II are good choices for replacement filters.

Tbar

JRJ04

Reaction score
Take the K&N Air Filter out immediately! The rubber seal around them is too thick for the stock air box and will not create a good seal. I had one and noticed that it started to suck dirt and know of several people who have dusted their engines with them. Stick with the paper filter until you are ready to upgrade to an after market air intake. I agree with Tbar that the AFE is good, but I have the entire K&N intake kit and am happy with it.

As far as exhaust goes, if you do replace it, which I think you should, make sure to get the 4 inch downpipe such that you will have an entire 4 inch system. There are several off brands out there, and they will do the trick, but I made the mistake of buying one and having to modify it because it didnt fit right. spend the little extra money and get a good one such as mbrp or magnaflow. do not buy a banks becuase i think they are very overpriced.

the combination of intake, exhuast, and chip will help your mileage if you keep your foot out of it. I gained back what I lost by putting bigger tires on mine and then maybe a mpg give or take. It all depends on how I drive:sly. Hope this helps!!

Tbar

SDD STAFF/Moderator
Reaction score
Your stock OEM drivers side battery is where the new AFE filter goes.

You relocate the battery with the AFE Stage II kit. The kit comes with a relocation battery tray.

AFE Stage II

Tbar

dogtrk

Pat
Reaction score
Thanks TBar. Right after I asked that question I decided it might be smart of me to go out and open up the hood, take a look and figure it out which I did. Like I said--I'm pretty ignorant about this stuff but I'm learning new stuff all the time. I have a friend who can install the kit for me so that's not a problem. :thanks

Pat

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58