AIS filter kit

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score
Hi everyone, some of you will know me from one of the other forums. I was invited over here to share some experience I have with various air intakes.

My first filter upgrade from stock :eek:, was a K&N that came with my Banks kit. There was somewhat of an improvement, but like most people, I wanted MORE POWER!!!

I later tried a Tymar and loved it, more power, top end boost and more noise :D :D If testosterone made a noise, it would likely sound something like turbo whine. :thumbs

But a drawback I discovered about the Tymar was that, in warmer weather, the EGT's and other temps were all higher. Higher enough that it had me continually concerned when pulling my trailer uphill, into a headwind, in thin air/altitude in hot weather. I began to suspect that what I was seeing was due to the Tymar inhaling underhood, heated air.

After learning about it, I got myself an AIS. I had to temporarily remove my coolant filter because there was a conflict with the filter's location and the intake snout for the AIS.

First trip with the AIS, the differences were significant. On a warmer day with the AIS, my EGT's were between 50 - 100 degrees cooler than a cooler day with the Tymar. This was likely due to the AIS inhaling cooler/fresh air from the grille. Overall performance differences were inconclusive, but the AIS was quieter than the Tymar. :(

Now I'm not saying the Tymar is crap, far from it. But in a medium to heavy towing situation in the summer and you want to keep things as cool as possible, the AIS is the way to go.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good morning Dale, very, very good artical by Jordan.

My main reason for changeing to the AIS was Filtration. I live in the "Central Valley" here in California. A 99% farming/ranching area. Lots of dust, dirt, pollen, bugs and at times, plain Ol' SMOG. The K&N FIPK did a real fine job and I was completely satisfied with it..... However, I felt the need to change it just about every oil change (3K) in the summer and at least, every other change in the winter. It was "open to the elements", so to speak. The AIS has the >two< intake openings, that draw air from areas not as "open to the elements". For me, and the area I live in.... The AIS just made better sence.

Did I notice any performance gains ? I think Yes. But it is'nt Wiz Bang. What I've noticed is: An Overall, smoother, operation thru the entire power curve. I'm not sure if thats because of the lack of under the hood Noise or if it's because of the larger, available, filtration area. (More CFM capable) I think it's the latter.

Did I notice any MPG gains ? Maybe a bit. Nothing to write home about. No loss though.

I would HIGHLY recommend the AIS, for ANYONE with an OEM set-up who is thinking about up-gradeing thier intake system. For The Buck... you can't go wrong.

JOE

Car_nut57

Reaction score
AIS

I have the AIS on my 2001 Superduty and choose it over many others that we have tried based mainly on its filtering capability. We live in the ungreen part of Washington with considerable dust in the air due mainly to farming activities and desert winds. We see first hand many damaged turbos due to poor filtration. It is mainly the cotton style filters that simply let too much fine dust through.

My truck is modified with a 120hp Banks chip, exhaust, Turbo Air Guides, etc. and uses a lot more air than it did stock. I found that even using the stock filter minder with the AIS would pull down even with a brand new filter in place. I found that even with the filter removed the minder would pull down just as much, leading me to believe that the AIS box was not getting enough air through it to support my modifications. A simple modification to the box solved this problem and the AIS seems to breath as good or better than any of the performance intakes we have tested.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58