Help Needed Altenator Problems AGAIN

dzl_x_4x4

Dzl_X_4x4
Reaction score
On the altenator there is a hot wire and a plug with 2 wires. What tells the altenator to start charging. My altenator is good (had it tested) but not sending a charge to the batteries. is there something else I can replace?

Emergency! Son's birthday today and we all can't fit in the little dodge 1/2 ton.

To begin here is some history on my issue http://www.superdutydiesel.com/foru...gine-drivetrain/8555-altenator-bad-diode.html

My battery warning light came on, so I came home and hooked up the volt meter and tested it. It is 12.03V not running 11.43 running, 11.42 running at high idle. So I take off the altenator and take it o AuitoZone to be tested. It passed. So I brought it home and tested the continuity between the battery post clamps and the hot wire on the back of the altenator (previous problem from above) and it has continuity (not open). So I clenaed to battery terminals, charged the batteries, and about to connect everything and pray it works.

Thanks!

Dzl_X_4x4

CHPMustang

Reaction score
Hey Brett! Good to see you back up on the radar buddy:sweet You know I went thru the same crap with the charging system on our Excursion a few months ago,my stock alternator showed just under 12 volts with the voltmeter at home(truck idling) so I ran the truck over to vatozone,pulled the alternator,they tested it and it was bout dead(was red hot to touch needed heavy gloves to remove from the machine) so I replaced it with a new alternator w/lifetime warranty.

Now the system idles at 14.2 volts :sweet

We got 65k miles out of the original alternator but I suspect there was more engine hours than road miles put on it.

Keep in touch!

Big K

SDD.com Hacker/Admin
Reaction score
Also,

A DEAD cell in one of the batteries will cause a problem too if the alternator tests ok ;)

dzl_x_4x4

Dzl_X_4x4
Reaction score
Long story short, I tested the altenator, it was OK. Took out and tested the batteries. They tested ok (but the guy testing them, didn't know which color was positive:eek:). I filled the batteries with water, cleaned the post and charged the batt's and re-intalled everything. Said my prayer and wham there was voltage:clap:, thank you Lord! I hope this is the long term fix, but I appear to be getting 13.90v at the hot wire on the altenator and 13.5v at the batt's.

Lessons learned: Don't neglect your truck and the battery dummy light does work.

Thanks Guys

dzl_x_4x4

Dzl_X_4x4
Reaction score
Yes, you are correct. It was battery water/acid from an old battery that I did not use. (They make you fill up your own smaller batteries at Walmart).

Good catch CHP! They are Motorcraft batteries and I got them in Jan 2006. I believe that I seen 36months somewhere on them, when I had them out. I am sure that I will need to replace them soon. It seems like I lose voltage very quicky when it sits for a short period of time this weekend.....like they are going bad. So the true test, I drove it to work today in Frisco. I will see if it starts after work.......:eek:

Howz UR X doing? You on full time BIO?

I will make it to one of the upcoming meetings to catch up......New Job has had me busy......but thank goodness for the job!

Thanks for the help!

:sweet

dzl_x_4x4

Dzl_X_4x4
Reaction score
X is acting up again, looks like I will have to replace something, but what? I think it must be the batteries. The altenator is putting out voltage, but last time I replaced it they said that with the bad diode that it would show voltage but no amps. But I hope that the Autozone test would catch that.

What do you think?

Brett

UPDATE: I talked to Ford, The batteries have a 3 year full replacement. But the "TRICK" to that warranty is, you must bring the truck in with the batteries so they can look for something else to blame, like "The altenator is not charging enough, it may be working, but not charing enough" LOL. I guess I should have it towed so Town East Ford can find something to blame, besides poor quality of parts. Yeah Right!!!!!! LOL.
You can have Ford replace your aletenator and batteries within 2-3 years, 30K miles ago, but that means nothing. Thanks FORD and Town East Ford for being so legit.

Last edited:

CHPMustang

Reaction score
Brett,I purchased a new(not reman) alternator from autozone a couple months ago which started acting flakey this week,it would charge 14.1 volts then shut off then back to 14.1 volts:dunno

Took it off and brought it into autozone where they tested it twice and it passed both times.

Manager asked a few questions and stated without doubt that it's likely to be the voltage regulator which won't always be indicated during the test procedure.

The manager ordered a replacement which I got the next day and voila! the replacement charges at a steady 13.9 once the glow plugs shut off.;tu

If you have a warranty on that alternator I suggest exchanging it,but if it turns out not to be the alternator,at least you eliminated it.

Gotta love lifetime warranties.

dzl_x_4x4

Dzl_X_4x4
Reaction score
Went ahead and bought a rebuilt altenator from Autozone with the Lifetime warranty. Cost $160.00 and took all of 5 mins to insall. Then Charged the Batteries real good and now everything seems fine. Getting 13.9V charging and the batteries are hold 12.5 to 12.95 V. This Dang Ford altenator looks like new, it is only 20 months old. But that is why they have a 12month/12K warranty. Stealerships, Gotta love em.

Thanks All for your help

Brett

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58