Alternator replacement

jackel1959

Jackel1959
Reaction score
I have a 2002 F-250, 7.3L PS and it looks like I have to replace my alternator (it is only showing 12.3-12.5v output). I have changed alternators out before, but have never dealt with a serpentine belt. So my questions are:
1. How do I get the belt off and then back on at the proper tension?
2. What AMP output is my alternator (I didn't see anything stamped on it and I have the single set up)?
Thanks in advance,
Jack

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
There is a belt tensioner that sets the proper tension on the belt. Have a relaible suto parts store look up what you have and go from there. I don't know what alternator you have.

Dave

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is a belt tensioner that sets the proper tension on the belt. Have a relaible suto parts store look up what you have and go from there. I don't know what alternator you have.

Dave

.... and some Auto Parts stores have a Serp. belt removal tool you can borrow to do the removal & re-install.... if you need one.

This might also be a good time to replace that upper hose with the one that doesn't go [through] the belt ?

Joe

Last edited:

JSchuricht

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
You don't need any special tool for removing/replacing the belt. Just a 1/2" breaker bar in the tensioner on the passenger side and slide the belt off.

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score
You don't need any special tool for removing/replacing the belt. Just a 1/2" breaker bar in the tensioner on the passenger side and slide the belt off.

X2; 1/2" breaker bar does the trick nicely.

Been there many times, replacing the belt at least 4 times, replaced the tensioner and the water pump.

On edit: If you're still looking for an alternator, you might take a look at THESE.

Last edited:

jackel1959

Jackel1959
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I saw the diagram for the belt and it does say to release the tension to turn the tensioner CCW. I wasn't sure how to reapply the tension. I just got back from the auto parts store with a new alternator. It is 110A output and apparently the only one made for my particular model. I am on my way out the door now to do the install. I'll let you know how it goes.
Jack

tony4380

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
its a spring tensioner and will apply tension automatically. have fun with it

jackel1959

Jackel1959
Reaction score
Thanks for all of your inputs. Once I located the hole on the tensioner pulley bracket to insert the breaker bar into, everything else was a piece of cake. The alternator is replaced and I now have 13.9-14.2 Volts at idle with a load (headlights on, blower motor on HI).
Jack

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all of your inputs. Once I located the hole on the tensioner pulley bracket to insert the breaker bar into, everything else was a piece of cake. The alternator is replaced and I now have 13.9-14.2 Volts at idle with a load (headlights on, blower motor on HI).
Jack

;tu Glad you Got'r Dun.

superdub01

SDD USMC/Wyotech
Reaction score
im thinkin about doing a tensioner job on mine. im guessing its a pretty straight-forward job? you know any secrets or tricks?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58