Another EGR Valve

bomberman760

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
On the 50-highway-miles into work today, I stopped at the usual truck stop for a fill-up, and barely had enough power to get up and out of the lot. Plenty of white smoke just like the last one that went bad. Luckily this time I was next to a Ford, and the valve was still under warranty.

Apparently got stuck open from residual carbon build-up. Ran fine a few miles after leaving the station, then more puffs of intermittent white and black smoke. I guess they're fine just replacing the valve all the time, and not taking care of the root cause. So now all that crap is getting ripped out. I'm through with this EGR BS. Next they'll want to replace the cooler too, I'm sure.

I like the the Strictly Diesel cooler delete and was wondering if anyone else here has one, and if there's any feedback, even by PM. Prefer to use a sponsor if possible. Any issues with EGR system delete and emissions testing?

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
If your state tests emissions you will fail if you remove the EGR. You can make it inactive and gut the valve and it will look like it it there. We test every two years and that is why I keep mine stock. I take it out every week and drive it like I stole it. This keeps the valve exercised.

Dave

kingkevindavid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
invest in a sct tuner that is custom tuned to shut off the EGR valve. My truck was doing the same thing until I did mine. didnt have to delete the EGR cooler (yet). Even if you are in a state that requires emissions you can shut it off until you have an inspection and turn it back on when its time for a inspection.

bomberman760

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
So after replacement this morning, I finished the last 15 minutes into work, and only had a few belches of white, to be expected I guess. Sat parked for the 2 hours I was there, then on the ride back I was fine while cruising level. Under any load - up hill or under acceleration, I had no power and bits of black smoke. So straight back to the dealership. I think the manager was a little peeved that I was trying to get their ideas on what the root cause might be without taking it in and getting charged, but ultimately that's what happened, except they didn't charge me. So that was nice. 25 degree difference in EG and oil temp. Come summer I'm toast. SO a new cooler it is, and I'll keep the valve for obvious reasons.

Quote for parts and labor was just over $2K!!!! Seriously? For a $300 IMPROVED part, a 12-pack, and my time to swap? There's a sucker born every minute I suppose.

Regarding using a tune to kill the valve, won't unplugging it do the same? I always had mine unplugged, until the mishap in January with the 1st replacement when Ford plugged it back in. I thought unplugging it just left a sort of dead volume of air in the cooler if the valve was disabled.

Last edited:

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
Unplugging the EGR will set a code and that is not good for emission testing. You will fail with an emission code. This game is getting very complicated (the emissions game).

Dave

trailey97

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so happy i live where im safety only. i live outside of houston and while i was south of lafayette louisiana my egr did the same thing. surprising enough though i was able to drive it back home after it straightened up and even drove it for a couple weeks until i bought the parts. the diesel shop i buy parts from wanted 1500 for everything including labor, so the dealers price sounds about right i supose. i stimulated my buddies pocket instead ($500 install) $500 for the parts.
best of luck gettin her fixed up. aint nothin worse than a lame horse, know what i mean verne?

but a short lived couple weeks later my HPOP went out. thank God for warranty.
by the way, who do you have warranty through that covered your egr?? they wouldnt cover mine!!!

bomberman760

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
by the way, who do you have warranty through that covered your egr?? they wouldnt cover mine!!!

Yes, it was covered since it was a new replacement in January.

Just going to do an aftermarket EGR cooler this month, then an upgraded oil cooler system May-ish.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
#1 rule on the EGR's is to drive them HARD. Drive it like you stole it! These trucks don't like to be babied around town. You will have reoccurring problems if you do. Get a gasser if this is your style. I am not trying to piss off anybody, just telling it like it is.

Dave :)

bomberman760

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Thanks for mentioning that, because I've suspected that since I started trying to get more MPG via less-aggressive driving, i.e. lower RPM, 1>3>5 shifting, etc, my problems have started. I'd venture that I haven't broken 2400-2500 RPM since I pulled my household goods here in December. I vaguely recall seeing someone (you, maybe?) post that somewhere here in the sea of posts, and it has been in the back of my mind since.

Well, in the meantime then, I'm going to make a little more noise around town. The highway drive to and from work, maybe not much more I can do than the constant 60 and 70.

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
#1 rule on the EGR's is to drive them HARD. Drive it like you stole it! These trucks don't like to be babied around town. You will have reoccurring problems if you do. Get a gasser if this is your style. I am not trying to piss off anybody, just telling it like it is.

Dave :)

oh yes
i had a few egr issues in my 06 6.0....it was from not driving enough

the 6.0 likes to turn higher rpms and work. get the soot out of it before its to late. you need HEAT and lots of air to get the gunky stuff gone.
get a new valve and o rings.
vacuum out the hole it resides in.
some have used a new egr in a can or some protective device and plugged the new one in but didn't install it in the engine, then left the old one in place to fill the hole

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarrburg